Air in hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, my preferred method taping the hood to a tree and fire a few shots with an AR-15. :wink:
An alternate method is one blast with birdshot. :D

Melt the hole towards the back of the hood as that will vent most of the trapped air. Remember the position your head is in when swimming. Most vented hoods I believe the hole is at the top. That may be good when acending, but not swimming around.

I put a hole in a hood once and found the sound of the bubbles more annoying than air in the hood. If it fits properly it won't hold that much air.

My gigantic dumbo ears are a different story and tend to seal like suction cups in the hood causing a squeeze. I burned holes over my ears so I don't have to pull my hood open when it happens.
My parents said I'd grow into them. They LIED!

brat.gif

rmannix:
I burned holes over my ears so I don't have to pull my hood open when it happens.
Ive thought about doing that , does it work pretty good . How much better can you hear underwater , i know with my hood on i cant even hear my computer beeping at me

terrasmak:
Ive thought about doing that , does it work pretty good . How much better can you hear underwater , i know with my hood on i cant even hear my computer beeping at me
they're just pinholes that keep the hood from sealing against my ear. Doesn't really affect hearing.

I put three holes in the top of my hood, running front to back, mohawk style. That way the air escapes no matter what position I'm in. I also made holes at the ears to prevent squeeze. I'm happy with the result.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom