Air in a nitrox tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THRILLSEEKER

Reaction score
Looking at buying a good used AL80 that has been used with nitrox. I dont dive on nitrox, is there any problem with using air in a tank that has previously been filled with nitrox? Assuming that you remove all the nitrox labels.

ALL of my tanks have Nitrox labels and have been cleaned or were bought clean. My LDS was what they call 'Safe Air' which is just clean air. It won't contaminate the tank. Basically, it is the gas that is used as the Air component of partial pressure blending with O2 to create Nitrox.

If you have the tank filled with air that is not known to be clean, you must remove the Oxygen Clean tag and the Nitrox tag so that it can't accidentally be filled with Nitrox. The tank will have to be cleaned for O2 service before using it with Nitrox. No big deal, it is done all the time.

Richard

Looking at buying a good used AL80 that has been used with nitrox. I dont dive on nitrox, is there any problem with using air in a tank that has previously been filled with nitrox? Assuming that you remove all the nitrox labels.

No trouble at all. Take the stupid big stickers off.

In fact, I used a different shop the other day to fill a couple of tanks with 32% but told them before I got them out of the car that if they required the dumbass huge nitrox wraps I'm going elsewhere. They said no problem, and filled 'em.

Of course I was much more diplomatic in my phraseology. :)

So does it need to be O2 clean before it can be used with regular air?

Nope. But if it's a new one ( used ) it would be a good idea to take a look inside no matter what the seller said about it.

told them before I got them out of the car that if they required the dumbass huge nitrox wraps I'm going elsewhere.

I guess if someone were to grab your tank by mistake, and dive it down to 135' they'd have to suffer the consequences.

I think these stickers from Airspeed Press have the right attitude.

StickersAll.jpg

Heck I had my own tank that I was positive had air in it. I was going on a deep dive so I decided to test it, just to be sure. It had 23% in it. If it had 23% it could have just as easily had 32%, cuz I never put Nitrox in it after the last vis. My shop won't fill EANx without the stickers and this tank didn't have one.

Makes you stop and think.

I won't use a shop who requires the big wraps. It's a rip-off and I won't participate. Then I don't dive NITROX often because I'm cheap!!

Back
Top Bottom