Air in a nitrox tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe my posts are a little misleading. I am looking at buying a used tank that has been used with Nitrox and is covered with the stickers. If I buy it I will be using for air and nothing else, I dont use Nitrox and dont have any intentions of ever using it.

Ken is right, take 'em off, have a look inside and use it as you will. Nothing special about it except that it "should" be clean enough to accept oxygen.

You'll probably need a bottle of goo-gone to get all the sticky crap off of the cylinder, too.

Looking at buying a good used AL80 that has been used with nitrox. I dont dive on nitrox, is there any problem with using air in a tank that has previously been filled with nitrox? Assuming that you remove all the nitrox labels.

Yep, just pull the stickers, fill with air and dive.

Maybe my posts are a little misleading. I am looking at buying a used tank that has been used with NITROX and is covered with the stickers. If I buy it I will be using for air and nothing else, I don't use NITROX and don't have any intentions of ever using it.

I would strongly suggest that you drain any NITROX that is in the cylinder before filling it with air. This will ensure that you are not diving with a mixture containing more than 21% O2 while assuming it contains only 21% O2.

To make absolutely sure you could always analyze the cylinder contents to test the O2 content after the first fill. By doing that you will be certain you are truly diving using air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom