air horns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i agree with most of the posts, however not to every content...
though it may be regarded as a throwing-a-gadget-at-skills-problem thingamajig, it can really be useful, especially to instructors and divemasters who would guide divers new to the site...

perhaps it's how you use these gadgets...
the thing is the reasoning is like just because you're good enough, you no longer have to use these safety gadgets...

further, i believe the key should be communication underwater should be established before even entering the water...
i think this is one of the things some, if not a lot of, experienced divers take for granted...

of course, you don't need to use the airhorns if you have good communication with your buddy underwater, but it will sure be more than useful if emergencies aries...
i, for one, don't use air horns, but i can see their usefulness...
and since it consumes air, it will be wise that divers don't be as trigger happy as to use it almost the whole duration of the dive...

dive safe... live to dive again...
...else, we split your gear... hehe...

I think an underwater horn is not a necessity. We certainly can safely dive without them. But as Erwin says they can be very useful for instructors and DMs. This is not necessarily in emergency situations, but during the regular course of a dive, especially training dives. One short blast and the instructor/dm can instantly get the attention of all divers in the group, each of whom may be looking in different directions. The instructor/dm may then proceed to signal any or all divers to stop, get with buddy, check remaining air, check mistakes, (e.g. finning techniques), point out interesting marine life, warn of potential danger, etc. etc. This is far more efficient than banging tanks or rattles, and the air consumed by one short blast (less than one breath) is much less than having to swim after a diver who may unknowingly be wandering away from the group. Also note that instructors/DMs are often called to lead unfamiliar divers with different training/skill/comfort levels so that keeping them in sight at all times is easier said than done. Of course only the instructor and/or the dm should have a horn, and all divers should be aware of this.

This is not throwing a gadget at a skills problem. Let us remember that although we are introduced to needed skills in the classroom or pool, mastery of these skills, for most people, can only be gained by actually diving and diving often. In the process, I would rather that the instructor has all the tools that can help him guide me and increase my safety.

I also wonder how Rev got his image of "a class of DMs all sounding off at once with underwater horns". Here in the Philippines, in almost all agencies that I know, DM training is done as a long term, one-on-one apprenticeship with the instructor, where the candidate is actually made to assist in teaching and leading actual dives, among other requirements, preferably with an underwater horn or other efficient signalling device. I don't believe you can be a DM by being in a class with other candidates who are all very experienced divers.

I agree that an underwater horn may not be of help in the event of a lost diver but it may, at a very cheap price, considerably lessen the chances of the occurence.
:)

Matthew

My image of a class of DMs all sounding off with air horns during a class was meant as a lighthearted touch.

However, since you make the observation that DM training is usually carried out on a one to one basis and normally under an internship I will most happily set you straight on this one.

As an instructor with the Professional Association of Diving Instructors I can run a DM course with a maximum of six students. They will undergo 50 course hours of knowledge modules, waterskills and water stamina modules and four practical application modules. Those four practical open water modules can be carried out with real or simulated students.

Personally, I run all of my DM courses as an internship but the reality is that I cannot afford to run them on a one to one basis.

Dive safely, all.

To Kev Martin

While I agree that the mini-hammerhead is not essential equipment, it is most certainly useful equipment to have especially in training.

To say that it is an equipment solution to a skills problem is not only missing the point entirely, but is the height of arrogance.

Nobody said that you are going to replace good buddy techniques with the mini-hammerhead. The mini-hammerhead is simply used as a tool and as a convenience for the instructor and I do not like being taken to task simply because I choose to use one.

You remind me of my uncle ( who learned to dive in the 60's ) who up to the present refuses to use a BCD when he dives as he says it is for wimps and it is an " equipment solution to a skills problem ". Of course there is a big difference between essential equipment like a BCD and a simple piece of equipment like a mini-hammerhead. The point here is to show that you and my uncle have the same kind of thinking : stubborn, arrogant and intolerant.

Erwin

You yourself admit that the use of an air horn is not an essential piece of equipment. I simply committed my thoughts to print.

Where did I take you to task over your use of the air horn?

I, however, do not appreciate being called stubborn, arrogant and
intolerant. You don't know me as a diver, instructor or person. If you cannot approach these forums with an open mind I would suggest that you view but don't air your views, particularly if you find other points of view not to your taste.

Does your uncle find you as testy as I do?

I was given a Mini Hammerhead about 10 years ago and it still works just fine! I rarely use it, preferring not to annoy other divers or U/W critters with it's loud blast. However, if for an example, I'm with a photogrpher (other than my buddy) looking for a something unique or rare, I will give a short blast to get that persons attention. Also, I agree with people who say it's a good, loud attention getter above water - have drawn the attention of dive boats a number of times!!

To Kev Martin,

It is you who is actually looking into this issue without an open mind.

Have you ever used one? From the looks of it you haven't and simply dismissing it when it can be very convenient to you is certainly closed minded.

I most certainly do not agree with your arguments and will not change my style of writing simply because you think that your argument is the only valid one.

As to keeping ones opinions to himself. Didn't that type of thinking go the way of totalitarian governments?

You are getting a little too personal in this thread.

Please take a step back and cool off a bit.

Just a note from one of your friendly neighbourhood Regulators.

Point well taken and advice heeded.:)

Back
Top Bottom