air horns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waizenegger

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on air horns that attach to your BC? Are there only two types under water and above? Are there any that do both?

waizenegger once bubbled...
What are your thoughts on air horns that attach to your BC? Are there only two types under water and above? Are there any that do both?

My first thought is that they make a lot of noise and they're irritating. Why you would need one under water is beyond me anyway. If you practice buddy skills you don't need them. It strikes me as yet another case of throwing a gadget at a skills problem.

On the surface you may need a signalling device. I don't see anything wrong with a whistle for that. Best thing about a whistle is that it's low tech and will work even if for some odd reason you tank happens to be empty.

R..

Always thought a whistle would do as well although an air horn is louder and more convenient.

I would think the only time you need it underwater is if you're leading a group. I signed up for a DM course and it is required. I guess comes with responsibility.

the above water horns (dive alert- made in Seattle) are much louder than any whistle and are very good if you surface far from the boat. i have one but haven't actually needed it yet fortunately. i don't think there is any such thing for below water. the below water device is more of an air actuated hammer. i have no personal experience with them but have heard they fail after about a year due to corrosion.

jason

Dive Alert by ideations is much louder than a whistle and can be heard from a kilometer or so. Therefore if you use the dive alert the recommendation is that you keep your ears below the water. It may only be used for surface signaling. I have never used it before so I would not know about its reliability.

As to underwater horns ( or mini-hammerheads as we call them ):

I have been using u/w horns since 1996 and I can definitely give you advice on these:

The horn is quite useful especially if you are an instructor or a divemaster.

Of the ones I have used before I can tell you the following:

1. Sea Hornet Mini-Hammerhead - Sorry to say but this model is not very reliable. The ones I used both cracked within a year and those that friends bought also experienced the same problem. The bigger problem was that there were no parts in the dive stores. Fortunately we were able to source the parts from a local hardware store. I was about to give up on hammerheads when:

2. Apollo mini-hammerhead - came along. Owned one since '99 and have had no problems with the Apollo since I bought it. I know that Apollo is not a brand that is regularly found in the dive stores but try asking your lds as it is very reliable and parts are plentiful. Sadly, it was stolen when I went to a dive resort this year so I had to buy a new one.

3. B. Heard - I had never heard of this brand before I saw a friend using one. In my opinion it is a copy of the Apollo ( or vice-versa ). The parts are interchangeable with the apollo so I guess it would not be a problem to service it.

Bottom line: Check with your LDS if they have spare parts. It is very easy to fix so all you need are the parts.

Aquatec of Taiwan claims that they have a horn that can be used both U/W and on the surface but I have not used it before and doubt that they would have a distributor in your area.

Hope this was of use to you.:)

The one from Aquatec is call the Scub Alert, sells for 59.95 (Ithink). I works both under and above water. Can contact aquatec for a dealer nearby. www.aquatec.com

michael

I tend to agree with Diver0001. Using an air horn underwater does seem to be throwing a gadet at a skills problem.

Instructing in the UK, degraded visibility means that it is imperative that I keep my students in sight at all times. This is a skill that my Divemasters and myself have worked at and can now accomplish with much success. Having an air horn that works underwater is not going to be of much help to me in the case of lost divers. Yes, you will be able to hear me blasting out my mating call but you are not going to know just exactly from where! Back to training - if you become lost or seperated - don't bluster around underwater trying to locate the source of that air horn - search for no longer than one minute and then make a controlled ascent to the surface, make yourself positively buoyant and await your instructors arrival. I can guarantee that I will sound off louder than any air horn!!

Sprinter, I am suprised that it is a required piece of equipment for your DM course. I would suggest that responsibility will better be served by tight buddy controls and an application of all of the skills you have learned right up to this point without your having had to use such a gadget. I cannot shake the mental image of a class of DMs all sounding off at once with their respective air horns! Use of them during the duck hunting season could be interesting?!

As to the use of an air horn on the surface, the Health and Safety Executive here in the UK, along with the Maritime Coastguard Agency, Royal National Lifeboat Institute and the Armed Forces came up with a very extensive piece of research in which they looked at all forms of surface observation devices.

During the tests performed in a variety of sea conditions it was found that the whistle had limited success. Firstly, having to blow the whistle in a relatively rough sea state meant that the diver had no air source in place and water was inhaled making the experience uncomfortable and stressful. If the surface cover (boat or shore support) were some distance from the distressed diver, it was found that wave height would actually inhibit the distance the whistle could be heard from.

Using an air horn would indeed mean that the diver could keep their air source in place but, again, depending on the sea state the distance the sound carried could be diminished. It was also difficult to determine the source of the horn. (Diver low in the water, large waves hiding the diver, wind activity).

Interestingly enough, the final analysis came to the conclusion that, of all the surface observation devices tested, a fluorescent yellow flag attached to a metre long pole with a strobe attached to the top of the flag was the most effective piece of equipment a diver could use. I think the meaning was clear - don't rely on just being heard - make sure that you can be seen.

I suppose the bottom line would be that if you have the money and can afford to lavish yourself with safety gadgets, purchase something that will get you see and then think about being heard.

Safe diving, all.

regarding air horns that attach to Bouyancy Compensator Devices are that they are tools in a tool box. They will be of value under certain circumstances, and perhaps be of no value under most others.

Remember that charter dive boats that go out sometimes many miles offshore are often filling tanks off compressors or running electrical generators. Gilliam (2000) describes a diver being swept past a boat anchored on a wreck in swift current, in an incident where a mate could not hear yells or whistles over a compressor running on the stern.

Airhorns like the Dive Alert are significantly louder than whistles.

If you are heading off on a trip involving a remote live boat, liveaboard, or offshore charter, I view an airhorn as inexpensive life insurance. Under those circumstances it might save you considerable distress.

Under most other circumstances airhorns may be of limited value.

I don't perceive them to be either consistently useful or consistently of little value. It depends on the circumstances.

Doc

DO work underwater. I've tested mine (not in distress, but just to know.)

Their range is very limited underwater, but that's ok - that's not what they're designed for.

ABOVE water they are EXTREMELY loud. So much so that you had better stick your head below the surface before you sound it, or you risk ear damage!

They produce a high-pitched screech that cannot be mistaken for any ordinary kind of noise on the water, and can be heard a LOOOONG way away.

Of course you have to have air in your tank for it to work.

I take mine if there is a possibility of being separated from the boat during an offshore dive, as having one if you need it could save you from a very long drift - or even your life.

Genesis once bubbled...
ABOVE water they are EXTREMELY loud. So much so that you had better stick your head below the surface before you sound it, or you risk ear damage!

They produce a high-pitched screech that cannot be mistaken for any ordinary kind of noise on the water, and can be heard a LOOOONG way away.
I ended up using one after a boat in Cozumel couldn't see the DM waving his flourescent green fin or slapping/splashing water from about 1/3 mile away. The problem was that they were looking upcurrent and we had gone back out to the wall for another 20 minutes of drift after dropping off the rest of the group, other DM, and the DM's safety sausage. I had my personal sausage, but took advantage of the situation to test the Dive Alert.

A 3 second blast on the dive alert was clearly heard over the boat engine. As Genesis says, it cannot be mistaken for any ordinary kind of noise. "Godawful screech" was the most common phrase used by the other divers on the boat to describe the sound. It was loud enough that they were surprised at how far away we were.

IMHO, sound and visual signals complement each other. If you come up at a time or place other than expected, the surface support crew may not be looking and even a very visible signal may not be seen. Ears, however, are always listening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom