Question Air Hog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMO, better that you get a larger tank than her going smaller.
Your consumption should improve over time, but more air is better.

I had this in Granada when my guide called the dive after 75 min. The next dive they used a rebreather.
That would be a serious upgrade. I thought about carry a pony bottle and having true redundancy.

I was that gas hog once. My wife (ex-wife) would use less than me would on very dive, until I decided to fix it the best I could. This is what I did;
1. Found a fix object I could reference. I used a platform at around 30-ft and hung off the edge and worked too keep it at eye level.
2. Learn to breath. Belly breath, deep in and all the way out, long and slow.
3. Once I learned to breath, then I learned how to stay in good trim. Horizontal in the water.
4. Learned how much air I needed in the wing to maintain depth, while doing the above.
5. Once I got this dialed in, then Learn how to frog kick.

Try not to work on to many things at once.
Two things I found with this.
1. Gas usage went way down.
2. I could maintain depth changes of +10 to -10 with out adding or dumping air from the wing, by just adjusting my breathing

Checked my dive log on my cobalt, my gas usages is all over the place.

I see one 85’, 37min dive, surfaced with 591 psi, gas use .60cfm. - This is a vacation dive usually much more relaxed.

Another 98’, 24min dive, surfaced with 614psi, gas use .88cfm. - Diving here at home off a boat seems to be more tense and rushed

I was that gas hog once. My wife (ex-wife) would use less than me would on very dive, until I decided to fix it the best I could. This is what I did;
1. Found a fix object I could reference. I used a platform at around 30-ft and hung off the edge and worked too keep it at eye level.
2. Learn to breath. Belly breath, deep in and all the way out, long and slow.
3. Once I learned to breath, then I learned how to stay in good trim. Horizontal in the water.
4. Learned how much air I needed in the wing to maintain depth, while doing the above.
5. Once I got this dialed in, then Learn how to frog kick.

Try not to work on to many things at once.
Two things I found with this.
1. Gas usage went way down.
2. I could maintain depth changes of +10 to -10 with out adding or dumping air from the wing, by just adjusting my breathing
My trim is good, I don’t use my BC except on the surface. I need to practise your breathing technique. When I do the deep breathes and exhales my buoyancy varys quite a bit. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. Looking at some of my profiles I see a lot of zigzagging.

I need to practise your breathing technique. When I do the deep breathes and exhales my buoyancy varys quite a bit. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong
Slow everything down. Find you that stationary point and learn how to breath slowly to maintain depth,. If you are not using your wing at all to establish buoyancy at depth, then there is a problem. That is what is it for. After that its breathing.

Slow everything down. Find you that stationary point and learn how to breath slowly to maintain depth,. If you are not using your wing at all to establish buoyancy at depth, then there is a problem. That is what is it for. After that its breathing.
I agree 100%! I decouple my breathing from my consciousness and use it to maintain depth stability and maximize neutral float. I probably make small adjustments to my BC air at least 30 times during a dive.

i’m gonna practice this in the pool, along with the frog kick. I’ve been doing flutter kicks. Please say more about not using your BC to establish buoyancy?

Women sip air and don't even breathe as far as I can tell. They probably don't need to since they aren't able to nag at or discuss how idiotic men are when underwater. Air is of no use to them below the surface...

To ensure my wife always has less gas than me I have 2 AL 80s and 2 HP steel 80s for her. I have 2 hp steel 100s and 1 HP 119 (looking for a 2nd). I also always have a pony with me. I let her gas dictate our dive planning and turn points. There is no way I'll match her lack of breathing so I compensate by bringing more with me.

If you are not using your wing at all to establish buoyancy at depth, then there is a problem. That is what is it for.
Hmmm. I'm finding mine mostly has air in it when I jump in, dump all air when everyone is in and ready to descend, and then usually only add air back at the surface while waiting to climb out or while getting out of the water. I worked to get to where I don't use (overuse) the BC. Or I guess I could go back and add 4# of lead so that I have to rely on the BC for buoyancy control?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom