Question Air Hog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I are both very experienced, but she is female and I am not. Our solution to "finishing together" is she uses a 63 and I use an 80. That is, she uses a smaller tank -- which she likes because it is easier on her back -- and I use a "standard" tank. Most dive ops support 63s and 80s.

I should clarify keeping up is probably a bad word, I meant matching her air consumption. Sorry

No need to try and match another persons air consumption. I was on a trip in Bali and one chap with us was 24 years old, had around 150 dives and was doing his DM cert. He tried to match me on air and instead of paying attention to his own air gauge he would run low on air, down to 20 bar. Often a guide would have to take him to the surface to make sure he didn't run out of air.
I'm 62, old, fat, out of shape, but I do take mountain walks most days. My knees are crap, my back has pain. Until I get in the water then I turn into a walrus.

This is a dive log I did with a DM who is better than I am on air. Very few people could do this dive and finish with 50 bar or 750 psi It's in meters not feet lol. If you want you can get a Cressi SPG which will tell you time to 750psi from any point on the dive. Then if you need to extend dive time just come shallower where you use less air. Top right where it says Range it will show time to 50 bar 750 psi

A SAC WRECK DIVE.jpg

CRESSI  CONSOLE.jpg

One of my biggest concerns is the idea of using dissimilar tanks (the woman going smaller) to try to solve a non-existent problem in recreational diving.

Rock bottom is the minimum amount of gas to get two divers from maximum depth to the surface. In the United States, we use cubic feet to measure tank volume. Let's assume a dive is planned to a depth of 100 feet. To determine rock bottom, we assume it will take 1 minute for a team to recognize and deal with an out-of-gas emergency, calm down, clean up any dangling gear, and begin to ascend. Then, we need to plan for a 30 ft/min ascent from 100 feet. 100 / 30 = 3.3. We'll round that up to 4 minutes to ascend for safety. Do we want to plan a gas-sharing safety stop? Or, do we just want to reach the surface and assume DCS won't be a concern?

If we plan for a safety stop of 3 minutes that will be 1 min to handle the OOG emergency + 4 minutes to ascend + 3 minutes safety stop = 8 minutes of gas. We have two divers sharing gas, so that will be 16 minutes of gas. We need to adjust consumption for depth, so we'll take the average depth of 50 feet and convert to ATA [(Depth/33) +1]. (50/33) + 1 = 2.5 ATA. 16 minutes of gas at an average depth of 2.5 ATA = 40 cubic feet of gas. That also assumes a 1 cuft/min stressful breathing rate in an emergency. YMMV.

Both buddies have to reserve 40 cubic feet of gas for the other. It doesn't matter who is using what cylinder as long as each cylinder has 40 cubic feet for a gas-sharing ascent. If a wife had an AL63, the turn pressure to reserve 40 cuft would be 1,900 psi. If the husband had an AL80, the turn pressure would be 1,500 psi. If the wife happened to hit 1,900 before the husband hit 1,500, she'd thumb the dive. "Up!" If hubby hit 1,500 before she hit 1,900, he'd signal "Up!" So, if they both used the same tanks, say AL80s, who cares if the wife has 2200 in her tanks, when her husband hits 1,500?

Danger comes when the wife's tanks are small capacity and the team hasn't planned properly for the minimum gas to ascend. If the husband runs out of gas, there might not be enough in an AL63 or AL50 to get them to the surface. An old rule of thumb was to take the depth you are at and add a "0" and that will be how much gas you need to surface. At 130 feet, you'd need 1,300 psi. Then, multiply by 2 to calculate someone breathing off your octo. 1,300 x 2 = 2,600 psi turn pressure.

If we figured out rock bottom at 130 feet, we would need 1 min/emergency + 5 min ascent + 3 min safety = 9 minutes of gas x 2 divers = 18 minutes of gas at an average of 65 feet (2.9 ATA) = 53 cubic feet of gas or 2,600 psi in an AL63. If the husband is bad on gas, wouldn't it be better if the wife had an AL80 at that point?

You can use that zero trick as you ascend. If you were diving a wall at 130 feet, when you reach 2,600 psi, it is time to ascend. But if you ascended to 100 feet, you could dive until you reached 2000 psi. If you go to 40 feet, you can dive until you reached 800 psi. Regardless of depth, you don't calculate below 500 psi. Now, keep this in mind! This is a very loose rule of thumb and you need to verify that it will work on the fly for your consumption rate and cylinder size.

Thanks for your concern, but you are not taking into consideration our actual dive profiles, especially max depth. You are looking at the worst possible case, which is non-existent for our diving where we use dissimilar tanks.

Thanks for your concern, but you are not taking into consideration our actual dive profiles, especially max depth. You are looking at the worst possible case, which is non-existent for our diving where we use dissimilar tanks.
That may not apply to you given your current practices and experience as an oceanographer, instructor, and cave diver. I'm just putting it out there for others who may want to put their spouse in smaller tanks because she's more petite and better on gas.

One of my biggest concerns is the idea of using dissimilar tanks (the woman going smaller) to try to solve a non-existent problem in recreational diving.

Rock bottom is the minimum amount of gas to get two divers from maximum depth to the surface. In the United States, we use cubic feet to measure tank volume. Let's assume a dive is planned to a depth of 100 feet. To determine rock bottom, we assume it will take 1 minute for a team to recognize and deal with an out-of-gas emergency, calm down, clean up any dangling gear, and begin to ascend. Then, we need to plan for a 30 ft/min ascent from 100 feet. 100 / 30 = 3.3. We'll round that up to 4 minutes to ascend for safety. Do we want to plan a gas-sharing safety stop? Or, do we just want to reach the surface and assume DCS won't be a concern?

If we plan for a safety stop of 3 minutes that will be 1 min to handle the OOG emergency + 4 minutes to ascend + 3 minutes safety stop = 8 minutes of gas. We have two divers sharing gas, so that will be 16 minutes of gas. We need to adjust consumption for depth, so we'll take the average depth of 50 feet and convert to ATA [(Depth/33) +1]. (50/33) + 1 = 2.5 ATA. 16 minutes of gas at an average depth of 2.5 ATA = 40 cubic feet of gas. That also assumes a 1 cuft/min stressful breathing rate in an emergency. YMMV.

Both buddies have to reserve 40 cubic feet of gas for the other. It doesn't matter who is using what cylinder as long as each cylinder has 40 cubic feet for a gas-sharing ascent. If a wife had an AL63, the turn pressure to reserve 40 cuft would be 1,900 psi. If the husband had an AL80, the turn pressure would be 1,500 psi. If the wife happened to hit 1,900 before the husband hit 1,500, she'd thumb the dive. "Up!" If hubby hit 1,500 before she hit 1,900, he'd signal "Up!" So, if they both used the same tanks, say AL80s, who cares if the wife has 2200 in her tanks, when her husband hits 1,500?

Danger comes when the wife's tanks are small capacity and the team hasn't planned properly for the minimum gas to ascend. If the husband runs out of gas, there might not be enough in an AL63 or AL50 to get them to the surface. An old rule of thumb was to take the depth you are at and add a "0" and that will be how much gas you need to surface. At 130 feet, you'd need 1,300 psi. Then, multiply by 2 to calculate someone breathing off your octo. 1,300 x 2 = 2,600 psi turn pressure.

If we figured out rock bottom at 130 feet, we would need 1 min/emergency + 5 min ascent + 3 min safety = 9 minutes of gas x 2 divers = 18 minutes of gas at an average of 65 feet (2.9 ATA) = 53 cubic feet of gas or 2,600 psi in an AL63. If the husband is bad on gas, wouldn't it be better if the wife had an AL80 at that point?

You can use that zero trick as you ascend. If you were diving a wall at 130 feet, when you reach 2,600 psi, it is time to ascend. But if you ascended to 100 feet, you could dive until you reached 2000 psi. If you go to 40 feet, you can dive until you reached 800 psi. Regardless of depth, you don't calculate below 500 psi. Now, keep this in mind! This is a very loose rule of thumb and you need to verify that it will work on the fly for your consumption rate and cylinder size.
There is nothing wrong in using different capacity cylinders providing gas planning is done for each dive.

I often dive with another instructor who uses a 15Lt/232bar cyl, of late I’ve started using a 10Lt/232bar for non deco dives. We plan to surface with 50bar; our last 2 dives were 30m and 20m for 50min+ for both.

There is nothing wrong in using different capacity cylinders providing gas planning is done for each dive.

I often dive with another instructor who uses a 15Lt/232bar cyl, of late I’ve started using a 10Lt/232bar for non deco dives. We plan to surface with 50bar; our last 2 dives were 30m and 20m for 50min+ for both.
Where did I say there was?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom