Air Fills from a Volunteer Firehouse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wait until they leave for a fire then sneak in and fill them myself :rofl3:

My brother is on their dive team and I've worked w/ some of the FF so I just drop them off and they fill them.
They have a new system to fill the 4500psi glass tanks too, so my 2640psi is easy for them.
I also go on there training dives, help out lug gear, dive some spots I couldn't.

hunter991:
I would make sure they make scuba quality air if you try. Firefighter air is generally grade D, which doesn't meet the standard for scuba which is grade E, or modified grade E, or OCA if you are using nitrox. The fireman may not be familiar with the grades, and may tell you it is fine. I would want to see their last air inspection log.

Brent

Cop hate'n on Firemen:D

Lead_carrier:

Thank you for providing the info on the D Grade vs. E Grade issue.

From the page you referenced (and one other I looked up), it appears that the two grades are the same with the following exceptions:

O2 content - Grade D:19.5%-23.5% Grade E:20%-22%
CH4 content - Grade D: no standard Grade E: 25ppm

I am not concerned with the diference in O2, however, I am a bit concerned about the CH3 (methane). I would love to hear from someone why 25ppm of methane is bad for divers but ok for firefighters.

The city may have rules against helping you out in this situation. Again the liability issues, as well as using city equiptment.

Nudgeroni:
I have the bug, and want to dive as much as possible. One way to make it a LOT easier, and cheaper, is to get air from the firehouse down the street. I am not a volunteer firefighter, I don't know any of the local firefighters, and I don't want to be rude. Then again, it might not be a big deal to just ask if they could provide a fill. It might even be a good way to get to know the folks there.

How best do I as for fills-- or should I not ask? Maybe I should FIRST volunteer to help with a fundraiser or something. Opinions?

Thanks!

Geez, how much does your LDS charge for air fills? Will you really be diving often enough for it to put a damper on your budget?

Hemlon:
Geez, how much does your LDS charge for air fills? Will you really be diving often enough for it to put a damper on your budget?

My interest has more to do with convenience than $$ (note the all capitals use in the OP):wink:

Nudgeroni:
My interest has more to do with convenience than $$ (note the all capitals use in the OP):wink:

The only reason that I mentioned the cost was because it was in your original post.

Nudgeroni:
I am not concerned with the diference in O2, however, I am a bit concerned about the CH3 (methane). I would love to hear from someone why 25ppm of methane is bad for divers but ok for firefighters.

Again this has to do with depth that divers get vs. fireman... the deeper you go, the more gas you will consume... so at 33 ft roughly you'll be getting 50ppm of methane if the gas has 25ppm at the surface... 75ppm at 66 ft. and 100ppm at 99ft...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom