Air consumption question related to ponies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee Taylor

Crusty old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been doing my 70-90 foot controlled assents using a 30 cube pony. I have decided to go to something smaller. Do you know whether a 13 or 15 cube pony will carry me to the surface in an assent described above. If it did not I would switch back to the primary tank of course. I was just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this? :eyebrow:

Assuming a 30ft/min ascent rate, it will take approx 6 mins to get to the surface (3 mins ascent + 3 mins safety stop). So you have 3 mins at an average depth of 45 ft, plus 3 mins at 15 ft. Assuming you are stressed during the ascent (you wouldn't be using a pony otherwise), let's assume your RMV is 2x your normal rate, I'm guessing that would be 1.5cf/min. So, let's see.. you're looking at about 17.25cf for the ascent, assuming you can deploy the bottle immediately and make a direct ascent. About 11 if you skip your safety stop. I would stick with the 30cf bottle if I were you (and learn how to do some gas planning :) )

A 13 cu-ft tank is more than enough to get you up from 90 feet. Why not try it out with the 30and see if you can do an ascent on just 1000 psi?

I have been doing my 70-90 foot controlled assents using a 30 cube pony. I have decided to go to something smaller. Do you know whether a 13 or 15 cube pony will carry me to the surface in an assent described above. If it did not I would switch back to the primary tank of course. I was just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this? :eyebrow:

The above post is correct, however the actual answer depends on the magic number: "Your stressed SAC rate"

You might be able to go to a smaller pony, but you might just as easily find that you can't, or you need a bigger one, and nobody can tell you what the answer is; you need to figure it out out for yourself, since it requires knowing how much air you actually use when stressed.

It's possible to guess at your SAC if you know your normal SAC, however there's no way to know if you should multiply it by two or three or even more to account for stress, since it depends on whatever event caused you to blow your dive plan and run out of air.

For example, if you're just watching pretty fish, forget to check your SPG, run out, and switch to your pony, you'll probably be pretty close to normal. If you're trapped in a discarded fishing net or lost inside a wreck and have spent the last 10 minutes looking for an exit or trying to cut away at a net you can't really see, you could be sucking air like an Electrolux (why let Hoover get all the credit? :D).

This probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but at least it's something to think about. :cool:

Terry

Last edited:
Why have you been doing your ascents on your pony? Is it just to check whether the volume is adequate?

Save the $150 bucks you'd spend on a new tank and send $75 of it to me. :D

Why switch to a smaller pony? What's the motivation?

Why have you been doing your ascents on your pony? Is it just to check whether the volume is adequate?

I use my primary tank down to 500 psi. I then switch to my pony for my ascent. This method causes my ponies to get "used" and extends my dive from a gas management perspective. I have the 500 psi in my primary in reserve in case of an emergency. It is something I came up with to optimize my dive.

:eyebrow:

A 13 cu-ft tank is more than enough to get you up from 90 feet. Why not try it out with the 30and see if you can do an ascent on just 1000 psi?

GREAT idea! Why didn't I think of that. Thanks!

:D

Back
Top Bottom