AI Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vtxkev

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have about 20 dives and I find myself constantly looking at my wrist mount computer for depth and time. I also find myself fumbling for my console to check my air ALL THE TIME. So I wonder if an AI computer should have been the way I went from the start? If I had everything all in one spot on my wrist i might be able to stay more neutral and relaxed? I am wondering if anyone else out there is like this and if an AI comp helps them?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but what's an AI computer ?
Air Integrated ?

AI = air integrated, but I think what the OP was really asking was about whether it is worth getting a wireless AI to transmit tank pressure to his wrist.

Personally - I used to be quite heavily against wireless, but since I got one myself (grabbed one going really cheap on eBay) I have to admit it is hugely convenient having all the data in one place on your wrist.

Air Integrated doesn't have to be wireless..I wouldn't jump to one because lack of skills though - it will take time to taskload when new - just dive and practice - be aware of your surroundings

AI Computers - Some people like them - some people say they'll kill you - it's your preference..

I would try going down to just a brass and glass and attatch to your hip ring or chest ring - or try and affix your current console in a similar fasion. If it's situated right - you should be able to simply glance down and see how much air you have - at the most twisted the gauge a little toward you. It will soon become an effortless motion you will not even think about before too long.

I have about 20 dives and I find myself constantly looking at my wrist mount computer for depth and time. I also find myself fumbling for my console to check my air ALL THE TIME. So I wonder if an AI computer should have been the way I went from the start? If I had everything all in one spot on my wrist i might be able to stay more neutral and relaxed? I am wondering if anyone else out there is like this and if an AI comp helps them?

I love my AI wrist computer, but don't think it's 100% a necessity. It's nice to have everything "right where you're looking" to be sure, but once you get more experience diving and become familiar with your air consumption (and improve it) you will find that you spend a lot less time worried about and checking your air. You'll also find you'll become a lot smoother at checking your console at a glance without "fumbling" for it while staying neutral and relaxed.

In short - stick with what you've got for now and if you still feel you want an AI computer after 50-100 dives then consider it.

Best - Ray

I really love my AI computer and it is nice to have all the info you need in one spot. Mine is the Sherwood Wisdom and I have it clipped to my BC. Very easy to just pull it out a foot or so to see all the info you need. Nice large numbers, easy to read and understand, and yet compact. (I took the compass off. Never used it.)

I seem to recall the knock on wireless AI computers was they'd lose signal and you'd have no air indicator. Are the newer ones better at this or was that more myth than fact?

I keep tight track of my numbers, too. I just have it all on my console and hold the console in my hand. It doesn't dangle, I don't fumble for it, I don't not bother to check because it's a hassle. I've also got the compass right there, which I've found useful in our dive sites that tend to have areas of 5 ft vis or less -- looking at the compass often lets me keep a mental map of where I am in the quarry. I've a clip for when I don't feel like holding it.

I'd probably use a wrist mount with everything on it if I didn't have wrists the size of a pencil. All the computers big enough to read are too big to fit comfortably.

I have an oceanic VT3, and I love it!! The batteries are cheap and user replaceable, and the PDC has more features than can quickly be mentioned. One word of advice though, make sure you have a simple backup SPG in your gear bag so if the transmitter doesn't work you don't miss your dives. The only problem I ever had was in 34F water where the pressure switch in the transmitter froze up (hence the hint about the backup ;-)

Last edited:
Well, an AI Computer is much more expensive than a normal wrist computer. Also out of my budget.
It will only tell you how many psi you have in your tank following your dive profile. Nice information, but needed ?
What does a dive computer tell you ?
Two things : depth & time and with those two things where you are in the tables.

If you calculate your Preasure Group by hand in the planning phase and after the dive, you will consider only the max depth (rounded up) and time (again rounded up) from the moment you went down to the moment you came up. You are going up when you or your dive buddy run out of air or you and your dive buddy are near the NDL.
In this last case is where the Dive Computer is a distinctive gadget. If you have still air you can go on diving as the dive profile will follow what you actually did and not the max depth.
Add alarms, security stop, nice colours and PC interfase, and you are. Less 500 bucks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom