Aggressor did get cancelled. :'( Help making other diving plans for Sept trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,
Well, my Aggressor trip for this Sept did get cancelled after all. I'm hoping to make the best of it and still travel to Hawaii and do some diving and I'd love your help choosing some places to dive! My husband and I are both AOW certified.

We've already booked 1 week on the big island, and I'd like to book some day trips for diving now. Can anyone help me with recs for:
1. Manta ray dive
2. Dive shops for other day trips?

I'm considering going to Kauai for some of the time we would have been on the boat - any recommendations for diving there? Other islands I should consider instead of Kauai?

Thanks guys!

We have used both Kona Honu Divers and Kona Diving Company (KDC) and have had great dives with both of them. We did the manta dive with KDC and it was amazing, but this September when we are back with our son we are going to do it again with Kona Honu since we've booked several days of diving with them.

You should book soon, though, since dive trips have been filling up due to the reduced boat capacity during COVID.

Sorry to hear your trip was cancelled but I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice and help from SB members. There are so many options for operators throughout the islands that you'll likely want to narrow it down to shops close (closer) to were you are going to stay. Personally, I have been very happy with Pacific Rim Divers on the Big Isle. Relaxed pace and long dives! Patrice is a fantastic guide who clearly loves what she does. Should you book with them be sure to request her.

As far as the other islands ... wow... lots to consider. Maui has amazing shore diving, the ability to visit Molokini Crater marine preserve, trips to Lanai for sites like "Cathedrals", and much more. The aquarium there is also very impressive. Mike Severns is an AWESOME company that in my humble opinion eclipses anything I've experienced in Hawaii. Pauline, Warren and Andy set the bar for diving in the islands as far as I'm concerned. Kauai is more "sporty" diving at times without question, but if you go to Kauai and have the qualifications DIVE NIIHAU!! Some of the very best diving in the islands for sure. Basically a guarantee to dive with Hawaiian monk seals, sharks, and many endemic / rare fish. Niihau also has some of the largest lava tubes / caves in the islands. Full day trip that is an incredible experience.

As you narrow your desires / island selection feel free to send me a PM if I can specifically help with any questions that you may have. I've been diving in the islands for a little over 20 years and have work on Big Isle, Maui and Kauai where I currently live / work as a DM/Instructor.

Aloha and happy trip planning
A

Sorry to hear it got canceled. The boat is in great shape and is in the process of it's annual Coast Guard inspection. Don't expect the boat to be in service until sometime in October as the team is quite active getting it prep'd for guests. They had been basically tied up to a mooring pin waiting for the state to re-authorize that type of commercial travel. I know the captain, he's a great guy and he is chomping at the bit to get going again.

Currently on the Big Island. All the dive ops are reporting full bookings. BOOK NOW!

There aren't any bad operators here. (At least I've never heard of one in the many trips I've made.) They all go to the same places and offer the same basic dives. That includes the manta dives, which are done as a joint operation between all the die operators.

I have my preferences, but now availability trumps all other considerations.

Try your best to do a blackwater dive while you're here. My friend Jeff, the dive guide for Kona Honu Divers' Black Water Dives, literally wrote the book on Hawaii Black Water Diving. https://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-...cphy=9032762&hvtargid=pla-1027922048050&psc=1 That said, his wife Sarah is a guide for Jack's Diving Locker's "Pelagic Magic" black water dives.

Do you know if the fire is under control? We're supposed to arrive on the island this Sunday and we always stay in Waikoloha. How is the air quality there?

Sorry to hear it got canceled. The boat is in great shape and is in the process of it's annual Coast Guard inspection. Don't expect the boat to be in service until sometime in October as the team is quite active getting it prep'd for guests. They had been basically tied up to a mooring pin waiting for the state to re-authorize that type of commercial travel. I know the captain, he's a great guy and he is chomping at the bit to get going again.
Aggressor still says that the trip on 25 Sept is going (my trip). Should I assume it is not? They cannot say anything official, and it is very frustrating.

Thanks for the help, all! Dive shops are definitely booking up, but we were able to book blackwater & manta dives (w Aquatic Life) and we're going to hop over to Kauai to do Niihau (with Seasport)!

Of course it won't be as *much* diving as we had originally planned but I'm still excited to visit Hawaii and do some once in a lifetime dives!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom