Aggressor Baja

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charters don't start until September, however, you might look up the destinations for the Solmar V or the Nautilus Explorer. They will go to the same place.

I contacted the aggressor fleet about the Magdalena bay itinerary which is not offered by the other Baja based liveaboards. This is what I got from them.

"The Magdalena Bay itinerary will be mostly whale watching from the skiffs, with scuba offered lightly throughout the week (you will not be allowed in the water in the bay area where the whales are located due to their aggressive nature here)."

I've never been there but I gotta say, light scuba diving and no chance to get in the water with the whales.....sounds like a weak charter. I love Aggressor Fleet and the Dancer Fleet, but I was very surprised to see Baja as a new itinerary. I thought they could have picked alot better place. If they wanted to go outside the box and have a new destination, perhaps the Channel Islands in southern California, British Columbia in the Pacific Northwest, or maybe a wreck diving charter with a little bit of reef diving in the Florida Keys - give guests a chance to hit all the new large wrecks that have been sunk all in one charter aboard the same boat the whole time. If they really wanted to go off the deep end, they should partner up with a liveaboard in Antarctica and offer as competitive of rates as they can afford to offer - they might be surprised by the interest of people if it's not TOO terribly expensive.

I think the Baja Aggressor's Soccorro Islands itinerary sounds decent, but the swimming in the shark cage for a whole week in Guadalupe sounds kinda boring - I would do it for a day but not for a whole week. I'm sure it would be unforgettable but I really think doing ONLY that for a whole week is not enough variety for me. I would never wish ill will on Aggressor Fleet, but I would not bet on the Baja Aggressor staying in that location - who else has an opinion?

I have thought about their Humpback Whale charter on the Turks and Caicos Aggressor but they do not allow any free diving - again - that alone is pretty much a deal breaker. They have some nice ideas with these charters but these minor hindrances tend to sway me the other way. All their other destinations are awesome though I'm sure. Hoping to go to Palau next year and hopefully Cocos Island after that.

Hi Guys,

I am booked to go on the Baja Aggressor Sept 25. I had alot of the same concerns about this trip, i.e. too many days in the cage, and what if it gets boring. My logic in booking was this:

1) "Whitey" is on my must see list...if not now, when?
2) Aggressor Fleet never disappoints and was offering a great discounted rate.
3) my BLBF (best liveaboard buddy forever) was into it.
4) End of Sept is at or near peak season.
5) I am incorrigible and will dive whenever, wherever, and it's better than work, so sure...let's go! I am sure you Guys understand that one.

So the stars aligned and off we go to scratch the itch.

That being said, I think it would be smart for Aggressor to have a plan B for when your first two days are jam packed with Great White action and you have 80 GB of video and stills in the can, your SD cards are full and you are ready for a change of pace.

I could see how it would be difficult for Aggressor if some guests want to stay and others want to change up the diving...how do you satisfy everyone? I guess that's why they lock it in stone up front.

I'll try to post on my return. If anyone has any suggestions as to appropriate thermal protection for that area at the end of September please let me know. Thanks!

Marc

I'm actually booked on the Oct 23rd trip. For the price, I had to do it. I'll be interested to hear about your trip, DrMarc914, when you get back. I have to admitt, I'm pretty excited to get in those cages and see those sharks!

Ewaiea: still thinking about that Antartica trip, eh? :)

I'm thinking once you see the full out genu-ine white shark in your face, it would be a little more exciting than you think. A whole week, eh, probably not for me, but a few days worth to be sure. And the mandatory hour per day of non-caged diving would be pretty exciting too, eh? Just kidding....

I'd have to agree that watching the whales from a skiff, and the likely mandatory keep away distances involved would seem kinda weak after a while. The Tonga whale watching trips are much better and you snorkel with them, generally speaking.

We saw the Baja Aggressor (aka. Andrea Lynn) at Guadalupe Island on Sept 29 when the Mexican navy boarded all the boats at the island.The navy made the Baja Aggressor leave the island because they did not have the necessary permit to enter the reserve. A shipping agent who handles several other Guadalupe boats mentioned that they will not be allowed to return to Guadalupe because of this infraction. If true this would be a bad PR blow to Aggressor Fleet and a bummer for those to took the bait and booked the "cheap" trip.

I don't get the thrill of cage diving, especially for a week. The Socorro itinerary will be just fine and adds more competition for Solomar and NE, but if all the prices are the same I'd go with the experienced boats.
There are a ton of boats going to Guadalupe and each one is getting crazier and crazier with what they offer, someone is going to wind up on the menu. The Mexican government is going to close it down sooner or later. If I was Aggressor I'd establish a Sea of Cortez itinerary, all the boats that used to do SoC, canned it for the GDGW. There is a niche there currently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom