Aged Reg failure (with pictures)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you recommend replacing the spring at specific intervals? Probably not an issue for a 5 year old regulator, but how about at 10 or 15 year old regulator? Does the regulator exhibit any symptoms prior to failure?

O.
They are not commonly replaced, unless there is obvious corrosion or damage; and my regulator was "asymptomatic," though I was, by that time, probably in the shallows; I cannot be certain. That incident was my only spring-related failure; and I very carefully examine them now, when I service regulators.

That tech (I wasn't servicing my own gear back then), I recall, handed me two neatly sheared pieces of the main spring, along with the comment that the IP actually remained within specs, just with the secondary in place . . .

While you have that puppy apart, could you post a picture of the turret retainer? I have a couple of oddball turret retainers that I cannot place.

TIA

Attachments

• 1A80B07E-7A4F-4C58-A6DB-7E405EA4ED0B.jpeg
    1A80B07E-7A4F-4C58-A6DB-7E405EA4ED0B.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 876C7FC1-BAFF-4DCE-A4B0-E2D4CC3D81EB.jpeg
    876C7FC1-BAFF-4DCE-A4B0-E2D4CC3D81EB.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 63
Thank you @scubaalblake ,

The swivel retainer looks very much like the retainers found in the Scubapro MK10-25 (except the new MK19.) I have a couple of mystery retainers I cannot place. See picture with dimensions.

Attachments

• SWIVEL RETAINERS.JPG
    SWIVEL RETAINERS.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 44
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom