• 70-79

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • 80-89

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 90-99

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your "money or time" dilemma is completely understandable, and quite typical

Indeed it is, in my opinion, the most common place problem faced by any diver once in a while.

And would add this one : you've got time, money, but outside conditions are just LOUZY ! :(:mad::rant::cry::banghead:

I just can't understand all the negativity between generations. We have a major activity in common... diving. Relate based on that. I'm pretty ancient (but young at heart) and dive with folks in their teens to those of my age and nearly a decade older. We all enjoy the activity and that's what counts.

I just can't understand all the negativity between generations. We have a major activity in common... diving. Relate based on that. I'm pretty ancient (but young at heart) and dive with folks in their teens to those of my age and nearly a decade older. We all enjoy the activity and that's what counts.
I don't think it is so much negativity between generations, as dislike by younger generations of being told "we used to do it better" by older generations; this has always been true....it is not just Millennials being unhappy with Boomers, it is Gen-x being unhappy with the Silent Generation, etc. One always rejects the past, but when the "past" is vocal about "I'm right and you're wrong" then it is just made worse. So I see the schism as being initiated by a relentless dichotomy: the older generations assume they have all the wisdom, the younger generations reject that. I think it has always been so.

I agree completely with you; this should be mitigated by a common love for a common activity...but then the oldsters get all negative and make fun of the youngsters, and off we go.
I'm an oldster too, more than you I think, so I'm increasingly sensitive when I make any critical comments about what some younger person says. I stay grumpy, however, when faced with grumpy oldsters who are never wrong. They have just forgotten how wrong they are....

I do not know if the generational "appreciation gap" actually exists in the general diver population because we are a tiny subset of worldwide diver group. We take diving very seriously, and work to improve our knowledge and skills. I do not believe that focus or interest exists in the vast majority of divers who likely don't dive more than a couple days a year, and not every year at that. Usually, I am the oldest guy on the dive boats, but I don't get a hard time from anybody, and most younger divers ask questions about my gear, etc. But I also am not that guy that is shooting off my mouth about my diving experience, where I have dived, or give "advice" unless asked.

I work with many teenagers and young folks learning to dive. They show great enthusiasm for diving and respect for us more experienced folks. I’ve never encountered this intergenerational divide discussed heretofore.

The problem is SB is innately occupied by crusty old peeps that do a lousy job of attracting new generations. The format is reminiscent of BBs from the 90s; the pub is a caustic mess of vitriole intended mostly to drive up traffic - no great diving insights there. Manufacturers barely participate because of the attacks on their products - check DSix recently. Every question is met with a canned response - Get a Shearwater or a BPW.

IOW Not a very friendly place or welcoming environment for young new divers. Speaks for itself.

I work with many teenagers and young folks learning to dive. They show great enthusiasm for diving and respect for us more experienced folks. I’ve never encountered this intergenerational divide discussed heretofore.

The problem is SB is innately occupied by crusty old peeps that do a lousy job of attracting new generations. The format is reminiscent of BBs from the 80s; the pub is a caustic mess of vitriole intended mostly to drive up traffic - no great diving insights there. Manufacturers barely participate because of the attacks on their products - check DSix recently. Every question is met with a canned response - Get a Shearwater or a BPW.

IOW Not a very friendly place or welcoming environment for young new divers. Speaks for itself.

Take the young out...

I would agree. Many new divers, young or older, are not necessarily greeted in the most friendly way after they venture past the introduction forum.

Sorry, @tursiops, a bit off topic.

Erik
True, but a useful sidebar.

Scubaboard is a very thin slice of a very skewed group of specialty type divers. The rest of the 99.999% of the dive world has never heard of a lot of the stuff that gets discussed here.
This board is not an accurate representation of what the current definition is of the normal dive world.

I don't think it is so much negativity between generations, as dislike by younger generations of being told "we used to do it better" by older generations; this has always been true....it is not just Millennials being unhappy with Boomers, it is Gen-x being unhappy with the Silent Generation, etc. One always rejects the past,

Although I may have questioned my parent's generation when I was young, I commended them as the Greatest Generation later in life. They faced far more demanding challenges than I think our Boomer generation has.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom