age discrimination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get that sometimes too, I'm 19, but it doesn't just happen in diving. I'm a pilot, as you probobly guessed from my screename! Every once in awhile I run across some old crusty pilot has to to me everything that he knows about the world and, to of course be "polite," I sit there and listen....gets annoying after awhile! Most of the time though, they are just trying to look after you. The last dive I was on there was a ten year old boy who was diving nitrox and all the other goodies, his equipment mad me droooooool!!!!

I'll dive with any adult regardless of age as long as they are safe. I will not dive with children.

Double Post

We have never had an age problem with them diving.

However, I make sure that the dives are suitable for their (and mine) abilities.

Most people are encouraging to them to continue diving and work on skills.

I have dived with people ranging from 14 to 40+, age doesnt seem to play a part in the decision, or the problems I have experianced with numerous buddies, more likely there attitude toward diving practices is more a concern, most don't plan dives, and just expect to follow me around, this ofcourse concerns me more than thier age/race/sex

a diver is a diver is a diver, I only ask that my buddy be a safe and responsible one, I want to know they will be there when the **** hits the fan

the only problem I have had is not directly age related, more peoples views on what experiance/age? you should have before undertaking certain things, which is fair enough to an extent

I'm 31, and age does not concern me. What I try to do is watch to see if my buddy shows any signs that may indicate weakness, confusion, or stress. I know that is not guaranteed, but its something rather than nothing.

Age has never been a problem with me. I've dove with people from age 10-65+. The only problem I find with diving with the younger ones, is watching my language and the subject matter during the surface intervals! As long as they are safe divers, "Let's Get Wet".

let's start with dive buddies - mine range from mid 20's to mid 60's. it's not the age that counts for me but rather the demeanor/behavior.

a youngish person who is focussed gives me better jeeves than a more mature-looking but fumbling-with-setting-up-their-gear person.

on occasions where a dive group include kids not yet out of high school, i get nervous and more often than not hang behind the group ready to assist. maybe it's just the perception of age but i was young too and remembered when i felt immortal :D .

bottomline, it's the capability that counts for me. and they must have finished high school.

MantaRey,

What you are experiencing is what I went through trying to break into the tech field for jobs. Funny thing is that eight or nine years later I still get the discrimination at times when people try to equate age to experience. Don't know what to say except those are the people with some sort of insecurity and its probably better your not diving with them. I wish time had been on our side and I could have the opportunity to dive with you a few months ago. :)

Colin

dsgobie once bubbled...
I'm 21 and I get it also. I think some of it has to do with older divers not wanting to look bad with their juniors. Also after dive chat probably has a bit to do with it. I don't want to finish a dive and talk HMO's, IRA, 401K, and how the SS check didn't come in this weeks mail so I can't afford fills.

...eh?? Wats dat, sonny???... Nice ta hear ya ain't preg-ee-dis again your elders...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom