After Red Sea, negative experience at Cairo International Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apeks Predator

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I enjoyed my week of diving in the Red Sea. Trip Report - MY Ghazala Explorer and north Red Sea, Hurghada to Straits of Tiran

I returned to Cairo and had quite a negative experience with Cairo International Airport security.

My friends and I booked airfare to Cairo for two days of seeing antiquities then we took Egypt Air to get to Hurghada. All went well in Hurghada for the most part; the adventures started on our return flight to Cairo. We learned that it is useless to arrive too early for the flight as security screening won't even start until about two hours before flight departure. It seems the security guys just do what they want to on their time. But we all got to our flight with minor inconvenience. The trouble for me was waiting in Cairo. I arrived Cairo and checked in for my flight on British Airways home via London Heathrow (another lesson learned as I didn't understand how inefficient and stressful London Heathrow is for travelers).

I arrived at my gate at Cairo international and was ushered to the security screener. All I carried was a small, soft-sided accessories bag. The screener started rummaging through my items and found my two 18650 batteries for my dive lights. I had the batteries separated in a plastic bag. Screener said batteries prohibited as carry-on. I argued that I couldn't check them in my check baggage, and the argument continued for about five minutes. The screener finally asked some guy who was probably the head honcho at the gate. Head honcho said batteries were okay for carry-on.

Screener continued rummaging through my bag and came upon my regulator and octopus. Again screener said item was prohibited. Again protest from me. I figured he didn't know what a regulator does so I tried explaining to no avail. Head honcho is called over again and he agreed with screener that regulator is prohibited. Another 10-minute argument. Finally, head honcho advises I check my bag as check-in. I probably wasn't going to win this argument so conceded. After the frustrating experience, I boarded the airplane with only a jacket and my travel documents and realized my house key was in the bag.

My bag with the regulator did not arrive home with me. I had to call one of my relatives who happened to have a spare key to let me in my house. Then I waited two days for British Airways to locate my bag and deliver it to my house. Fortunately, no items were stolen or missing. I was ready to start filing insurance claims!

The next time I go to Red Sea I plan to not go through Heathrow and skip going through Cairo and just going straight to Hurghada or Marsa Alam!

You got your bag 3 days faster than I did the last time I flew British Airways.

There are always some reports that security staff are in need of special items from tourist, unfortunately.
Telling you that regular and octopus are not allowed in carry-on is simply b... sh... There are thausends of divers travelling each year to Egypt and certainly a lot will have that piece of equipment in their cary on (as my buddy and i had it many times).
Such behaviour is really a pity.
But you are right: the likelyhood that someone in HRG or RMF does not know what a regulator is, is near zero. Unless you are the first passenger to be checked by someone having his first day at the screening station...

People have been told that the reg is a weapon, like a bolo. you can swing it around and hurt people.
I don't know why people carry them on anyway; they are almost indestructible, and are easily packed securely in checked baggage.

People have been told that the reg is a weapon, like a bolo. you can swing it around and hurt people.
I don't know why people carry them on anyway; they are almost indestructible, and are easily packed securely in checked baggage.
Because carry on arrives at destination with me; checked could be delayed. Carry on contains essentials- and I consider meds, DC, reg and mask to be essential.

The western mindset is that if you're caught trying to bribe officials, the outcome could be a whole lot worse.
Not just Western, in Libya (to some extent) and many other countries in the Middle East but some others don't view it as such. Some consider it as legitimate source of income.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom