After 5 trips, Looking for new GREAT places to dive in Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am looking at Sogod, it sounds very good. i will be going through Surigao to get to Sogod (i will be in butuan first). do you think i should definately dive surigao before i go to Sogod? i will have 2 weeks to land in manila, then be in butuan city for 2 days and then to surigao and then on to sogod, then back to manila to leave. what do you think, with all the travel time wasted in between getting from place to place?

I am looking at Sogod, it sounds very good. i will be going through Surigao to get to Sogod (i will be in butuan first). do you think i should definately dive surigao before i go to Sogod? i will have 2 weeks to land in manila, then be in butuan city for 2 days and then to surigao and then on to sogod, then back to manila to leave. what do you think, with all the travel time wasted in between getting from place to place?

Definitely take a couple days in Surigao. 'Cantrasa' should be on the top of your list there, but there are alot of other very nice sites, 'Georges Shoal' is also tremendous. Night diving the house reef always gives up plenty of memories, and if weather permits you can dive Nonoc Island's piers. From Surigao you can take a 'fast ferry' over to Siargao Island, about 3 hours trip. If your skill set will allow for it, you can dive the 'Blue Cathedral'. These are all dives you will be telling your diving friends about for years to come. Jake Miranda runs the dive shop and also operates the best hotel in Surigao, the Tavern. You can catch their van to the hotel right from the airport(free), they are professional and the prices are reasonable. I have dove many locations in the Philippines, but Surigao is my favorite because it offers so much diversity in dive sites. the prices are good, great food, and easy access to Siargao.

The dive shop is located about a 15-20 minute drive from the hotel and transportation can be arranged through them, it is inexpensive as well. The Cantrasa dive, which is a sunken island with nice walls, a cave, swim throughs and usually good fish can be quite a challenge for those without a fair amount of stamina, as the currents can be strong. It is located a 5 minute boat ride from the Punta Bilar Dive Center, which also has a 2 kilometer house reef. I was ill the first time the Blue Cathedral was ever dove and could not make the trip, but I do have a few pics of the site in my photo section here. This dive alone is the reason I will go to Surigao/Siargao on my next visit. Members of the Surigao Dive Club who were the first to dive it said it was not a difficult dive, but it is a deep dive. I think the entry is about 140 feet, but not certain. If you look at the pics, you will see the viz is awesome as well. If I were you I would contact the Surigao Dive Club through their fb page as they can provide you with more details. Additionally, I have heard they have discovered some new sites since I left in February. It is mostly virgin territory and the club members spend alot of time looking for new sites. You could easily spend a month in Surigao and dive dozens of sites withing a 45 minute drive or up to a 2 hour boat ride. As far as skill set for diving a cavern/cave, I would advise that you have had training to that extent, although you may dive it with your AOW card alone. A few members of the club have a fairly extensive cave diving background. I would ask to talk with either Jake, Marlon or Lyndon about that dive through the Surigao Dive Club page on fb. As I have not personally dove the site, they are much better qualified to answer your questions. The island of Siargao is not a very well developed island, although I think it is mostly paved in the most traveled areas by now. When staying in Siargao, you will want to stay in GL, or General Luna. I recommend Cherinicole Resort, located close to everything and belongs to my wife's aunt, haha. This is their web address Cherinicole Beach Resort – Siargao
You will want to check in advance if the Blue Cathedral will be a possible dive as it is on the open Pacific and the weather can get rough during rainy season which about to begin. Hope this helps you, and you have a safe and adventurous trip.

---------- Post Merged at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Here is a link to Lyndon's page. The president of the dive club and its most experienced diver. He can answer any questions you have.
Happy diving.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/lyndon+c.html

diving from davao,is usually cheap on the weekend or bloody expensive during the week,as not many people dive then....
i recommend carabao dive center...

general santos i have been there a couple of times with some nice sites....about a 4hour bus ride from davao...theres an english guy there thats been there for a few years,i think cambridge hotel?????

i did some diving in camotes....not that fantastic,but like any-where you have not dived,it is interesting,with always something new...
1. I had to charter a dive boat in Davao during weekday!
2. Dived with Carabao Diver as well. Wind & Wave is to be avoided.
3. Cambridge Farm but South Points Divers is right by the best site.
4. Two very good sites in Camotes, the wreck and the wall next to it.

thanks @diverdorr68

i think i will pass on the Blue Cathedral for now. i have dove 43 meters, not a big deal but the depth and the cave diving, between the two creep me out a bit. i an not much into cave diving to be honest. I have been in some cracks and the hole in the wall dive in PG at 20 meters. but i am not interested in cave diving in general and i do not really have the time to spare to go to Siargao for diving it this trip. thanks for the advice.........

Back
Top Bottom