Affordable Primary Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Papasmurf89

Contributor
Reaction score
Smurfy,
my first recommendation would be to go for LED technology. you won't regret it...:14: :14:

After that, I believe you need to tell us about your diving area and general visibility and just how big a light you want? Do you want to light up the sea floor like it was day (and scare away all the cool critters)? Or light up more delicately?

I just recently bought a UK SL4eLed and was amazed at the amount of light it produces! Can't wait to test it night diving in Roatan in 3 weeks!!!!! :D :D :D I might just find it is enough for my primary light needs!

Just my 0.02$

General visibility for the area that I dive can range from 10 feet to 30 feet. This light is going to be primarily used for bug hunting so whatever brightness you think is best for that is fine by me...

I would like to keep it well below $100, I don't dive at night enough to warrant a $100 light. I'd like to spend anywhere from $60 - $80.

Papasmurf89:
I would like to keep it well below $100, I don't dive at night enough to warrant a $100 light. I'd like to spend anywhere from $60 - $80.

Call to Joe or Larry @ Scubatoys. You can get the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED at $100 shipped to your door... Believe me! You can see more than $20 difference...:wink:

Codman we bought the SL4 Eled right before our trip to Roatan last week. They worked beautifully. They are not too bulky and bright but provided enough light to see what we wanted to see and to be seen be our buddies.

Have a great time in Roatan the water temp last week was a balmy 83-85 degrees and visibility was good.

We have Miniwave LEDs (your fourth listed choice), and love 'em. They have the same lumen output as their 8-cell brothers (Princeton TEK Shockwave LED), they just don't have the burn time. However with 4+ hours on high beam (which you won't use all the time), you should have MORE then enough for 3 or 4 nite dives minimum...

We went with the Miniwaves for their size... small, with the output we wanted... and, of course, compared to their big brothers, the price was right...

Papasmurf89:
You actually need MORE light during the day, compared to night, because the light has to work a lot harder to overcome ambient light. I'd go for the light canon. Best light out there, without going to a canister light.

CompuDude:
You actually need MORE light during the day, compared to night, because the light has to work a lot harder to overcome ambient light. I'd go for the light canon. Best light out there, without going to a canister light.
If you're peeking into crevices, wrecks, caves, or overheads...

I only take my light during the day if it's one of the above (personal preference). However, the OP specified *night* dives...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom