Affordable Primary Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smurfy,
this is just my 0.02$ and take into account I am no expert... But in the reduced visibility conditions you mentioned (10-30'), I'd go with the "biggest" you can afford... As mentioned previously, the UK Light canon is renowned to be the king of lights (non-canister that is), but is pretty expensive. Personally, I've always loved UK products. The C8 eled looks good from your list and is within budget... I don't know how the priceton shockwave compares to this in light output, but take a look at the stats from both (check their websites). Personaly, I'd probably go with the C8 since I can get it serviced near my home...:)

Jwilmot, that's great news! I was hoping that the sl4 would be enough for night diving in the tropics. In fact, I just ordered a Q40 mini eled for a backup to my sl4... From your report, it would look as if I was right!

I can't wait to get to Roatan! I haven't been diving in over 2 months... And that was in a cold dark lake!! :shakehead The 80-83ºF water will be a nice change!!!:rofl3:

I just hope it won't be too rainy...:popcorn:

Later!

BKP:
If you're peeking into crevices, wrecks, caves, or overheads...

I only take my light during the day if it's one of the above (personal preference). However, the OP specified *night* dives...
Oops, my mistake. I was responding to the post where he said "...I don't dive at night enough to warrant a $100 light..." and assumed he was talking day dives as well.

Papasmurf89:

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230035603717&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:11[/FONT]

Take a look here. The person selling the light is a buddy of mine. It's in great shape and it's a powerful light.

I (personally) think it's a no-brainer, Smurfy...

The Miniwave is an LED x 3... Huge output... the bulbs won't die on you (10,000 hours)... smaller... easier to handle... same burn-time as the ShockWave2 with 1/2 the batteries...

The ShockWave2 is standard reflective... doesn't really compare to an LED... (but, it's $15 cheaper... far sight from being a deal killer).

Didn't know they were so different. I guess I'll go with the Mini Wave. Is the Mini Wave II that MS linked the same? I might go with that. Thanks.

hoosier:
Call to Joe or Larry @ Scubatoys. You can get the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED at $100 shipped to your door... Believe me! You can see more than $20 difference...:wink:

I have that light and it's worth the extra $$ No real worry about lamp failure 10/20 HR burn time depending on intensity used and a nice white light. The batteyr savings alone will be a return to you.

Pete

I just bought the shockwave LED, it lit up a recent night dive ike it was daytime, highly recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom