Aeris XR-1 nx or the XR-2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

castanagajt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I swear I have looked at the manufacturer's website and read so many reviews on leisurepro and where ever some information may be about the Aeries XR-1 nx and the Aeries Xr-2 and I just can't decide between either one. Please keep it between only this brand and these two models because Aeries is the about the only thing he carries. This is for my brother's layaway scuba total package.

XR1 NX looks like it may have smaller numbers, no back light, 12 logged dives memory, no audible alarm, no gauge mode, lacks date but has time,lacks pc interface, no pc settings upload, no temperature, nitrox capable unlike the regular XR1. No turn around alarm.

XR2 comes with bigger display of numbers, 24 logged dives and all the rest that I have just listed before you.

I asked my brother if the things that the XR1 NX lacks will be a problem and he said that he is good without the fancier stuff.

If they are asking for a 3 gauge with computer what would those gauges comprise of?

What would the two gauge comprise of?

Again, these were not listed.

If we both go with the cheaper one, I am positive he would be responsible enough to watch the numbers on his dive computer and probably for the other features that it lacks we can pull the information like temperature, audible alarm for deco stop, turnaround time alarm, etc from my dive computer.

Do you think the the XR1 NX suffice or should we save for the XR2? Thanks in advance.

I forgot to mention, I can care less about the pc download stuff, back light, 12 extra dives on the memory and this will be an air integrated unit.

I have the XR2 so only familiar with that model. I will tell you what I like about it.

*Computer console and analog compass on one side
*Analog pressure gauge and analog temp gauge on other side (both contained in one gauge)
*Not sure if I would like computer information to be smaller than it is. I personally like for this information to be more than easy to read very quickly as it otherwise becomes a distraction
*Backlight has come in handy on multiple occasions- especially if vis or available light is an issue
*I also went with this model because of the lower cost vs a fully computerized model with a digital pressure gauge- I did not feel that was necessry and I also think less chance for malfunction or misreading the info
*The audible beeps are also nice for safety or deco stops so you don't always have to stare at your gauges possibly being distracted from what is going on around you.
*I think temp gauge is also nice to have to determine very precisely your comfort range and what exposure setup works best for you as this is a very individual thing- for me- 84 and up- shorty; 77-83- 3mm full; 70-76- 5mm full with 5mm hood and gloves or 3mil shorty under 3mil full with hood and gloves; 69 and lower- 7mm full with hood and thicker gloves
*I do not like to get cold and a couple of degrees can make a big dif in comfort level for me, especially towards the end of the dive(s) when you may be getting tired and/or need hydration.

I do not know the difference in price between the xr1 and xr2, but I personally think the features in the xr2 make for a more pleasant dive experience overall. IMHO in an activity such as scuba diving, even though the 'buddy system' is highly encouraged to practice, it is really an independent and self-reliant activity, even more so if you get into technical or advanced diving. I would not want to rely on someone else's equipment for information that I should have myself at any given time. Will this person dive with you on every dive and always be with you to get the information when he needs it? Just thinking of the bigger picture here.

I have the cheaper XR1-NX... it does actually display the temperature and records it in the log too. It only gives a single value (not an average like the some might) but its there. I actually really like the unit (I have it wrist mounted). It would be nice to have backlight, but I get by.

As for the 2-3 gauge question... 2 gauge is likely to be pressure and depth, the third gauge in this case would be the computer is sounds like, otherwise the is often a compass. I think temperature is often embedded on the depth gauge.

Back
Top Bottom