Aeris Manta Instructions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BSA65S

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I researched this forum a while back for my first dive computer, and decided to try the Aeris Manta. It arrived today and is going back tomorrow. I spent a half hour just trying to find instructions on how to wake the thing up:banghead:, and another three hours trying to figure out how to use it. 139 pages of generally useless technical drivel offered me no hope of (or interest in) actually being able to use the device.

And no, I don't think I'm just technically inert. I ran an Internet ISP for 11 years, and have done more than my share of technical reading and setup. I just don't want to have to do it for this. I dive for fun!

I am an experienced diver (over 45 years) who has managed to survive without a computer of any kind to this point, but we are now taking up more intense dive vacations that really do require a computer.

Any suggestions on a simple, usable computer that actually comes with simple instructions?

Sherwood Wisdom 2. Easy to use and navigate the menu. Does nitrox. Big numbers!

Look at this POST

By the way, we are working on the Manta Specialty Class too.
It should be ready by the end of November

Alberto

I admit the Aeris manuals are not that well written, but I don't think the computer or the manual are more difficult to use than any other 4 button dive computer.

From page 8, under the heading NOTICE...STORAGE AND INITIAL ACTIVATION:

"To wake the MANTA up from Deep Sleep mode, simultaneously depress the upper right (S) and lower left (A) buttons for 2 to 3 seconds until the display comes full ON displaying the MAIN TIME screen, then release them." To me, that is fairly clear.

I have seen a Sherwood Wisdom manual and I don't think it is much shorter or much easier read than the Aeris. I really don't mean to sound rude, but if after three hours you couldn't figure out how to operate the Manta, you may find most dive computers challenging. Some dive shops offer classes.

I had a Cressi Archimede II for awhile that was very easy to use; you might want to check it out. The manual was much shorter, maybe 40-50 pages and written pretty clearly with good illustrations and pictures, if I recall correctly. It should be a good starter computer.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.

I admit the Aeris manuals are not that well written, but I don't think the computer or the manual are more difficult to use than any other 4 button dive computer.
Oh great. Not the news I was looking for.
I really don't mean to sound rude, but if after three hours you couldn't figure out how to operate the Manta, you may find most dive computers challenging. Some dive shops offer classes.
OK, so I was being a bit melodramatic there. I have spent countless hours (years?) with my nose buried in a tech manual, and frankly, I HATE it. I don't dive so I can play propeller head. I dive so I can forget there is such a thing!

I think the main problem is that I am so familiar with tech writing, and the Manta manual writer should be hung up side down by his flippers and flogged with all 139 pages of his drivel...repeatedly! This is simply badly written, offensively so.
I had a Cressi Archimede II for awhile that was very easy to use; you might want to check it out. The manual was much shorter, maybe 40-50 pages and written pretty clearly with good illustrations and pictures, if I recall correctly. It should be a good starter computer.
Thanks for the tip. I'll look in to it!

I think the main problem is that I am so familiar with tech writing, and the Manta manual writer should be hung up side down by his flippers and flogged with all 139 pages of his drivel...repeatedly! This is simply badly written, offensively so.

I have to agree with you thier ! If you start at page 71 of the manual it will make a little more since. I was mad in both since of the word until I got to the overview of the computer.

Well, I calmed down a bit and read through the instructions again. Yes, of course I can run this thing, but not without the instructions close at hand. Just the details of accessing the logs are intimidating. And all the "Warning!", "Violation!" and "Safety" labels make the documents even more ridiculous. Like we don't understand that roaming around on the bottom the ocean could be hazardous. Jeez, how annoying! This document was obviously strongly influenced by the legal department, so I guess the lawyers should probably hang up-side-down by their flippers right next to the writer.

But in the end, I think my problem is that I just don't like dive computers. But, I guess if I'm gonna cram a dozen dives in a weeks vacation, I should probably just grow up, stop whining and get over it.

Still gonna send this one back, if I ever hear back from Divers Supply, where I bought it. I've asked them for a return authorization but they haven't responded yet. I suppose now I'll find that there is some big problem returning these things. Is that gonna be a problem?

I understand the irritation with all the warnings, etc., but you would be surprised how many people would go out and do something truly stupid and then blame an equipment manufacturer for failing to warn them. A lot of the manual explains the various violation modes you might encounter.

The computer should have come with a little laminated card that provides a quick reference to various functions. That might help.

Watch-type dive computers are a bit more frustrating to learn because they also incorporate alternate time zones, countdown timers, daily alarms and other non-diving stuff. So, that many more screens to scroll through, and probably another dozen pages in the manual.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are only a few things that most users need to set and to see when diving. Most alarms are easily set by connecting the dive computer to a laptop or desktop computer. I find that easier than repeatedly pushing buttons to scroll through options.

Good luck.

I understand the irritation with all the warnings, etc., but you would be surprised how many people would go out and do something truly stupid and then blame an equipment manufacturer for failing to warn them. A lot of the manual explains the various violation modes you might encounter.
You're right, of course. Some idiots will sue you for anything, and we let them, so I guess we have only ourselves to blame for our legal system.
Watch-type dive computers are a bit more frustrating to learn because they also incorporate alternate time zones, countdown timers, daily alarms and other non-diving stuff. So, that many more screens to scroll through, and probably another dozen pages in the manual.
I agree. I find that this is an annoying addition to the basic dive computer, and wish I had thought about that before I ordered it. I'm going to try the more basic Cressi Sub Archimede II, which was recommended here.

Still gonna send this one back, if I ever hear back from Divers Supply, where I bought it. I've asked them for a return authorization but they haven't responded yet. I suppose now I'll find that there is some big problem returning these things. Is that gonna be a problem?
After all my whining I thought I should at least give credit where credit is due. It was a breeze to return this to Diver's supply! How nice to find a company that doesn't make your life difficult.

One phone call, packed it up and sent it with tracking, the day after it arrived, the credit appeared on my Paypal account.

Thanks guys!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom