Aeris Jetpack dream vs reality.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like this is a solution in search of a problem. I've never understood why people look to scuba manufacturers for luggage needs. Nothing screams "steal me" like a bag with a scuba manufacturer's logo emblazoned all over it. I carry all my gear using bags made by Eagle Creek. They're sturdy, light, guaranteed for life, and don't give away what's inside. Travel BCDs or BP/W will fit in many 22" rollaboards or backpack/rollaboard hybrids, along with shorter fins, reg, mask and still have room for a week's worth of t-shirts and swimsuits. As long as you don't need to haul a 5mm full suit, you should be able to pack for tropical scuba getaways in a well designed cabin bag.

It depends on what airline you fly. US airlines may suck from a service standpoint but they are lax when it comes to enforcing baggage sizes and weights. Foreign carriers are more strict and for some a standard carry-on is considered too large. I had a fight with Cathay Pacific in the US over this issue. The gate attendant even pulled out a scale to weigh the bag, which was overweight too. So there is a need.

My LDS stocks scubapro stuff, so I don't know if he's trying to steer me away from the Jetpack or it's not as great as I think it is. Thanks for the guide I'd seen that thread before kinda figured I'd say anything to get a free Jetpack =). ... Doug???

So seriously I'm kinda sold on the whole concept. I've kinda bought into the dream of having a pack that fits my stuff sitting in the corner of my room ready for me to just buy a plane ticket and be outta there. I also figure if (when) the zombie apocalypse happens I'll be able to get on a plane to Palau and live under the sea with a minimum of fuss.

But, well, has anyone actually used it? How does it perform as a BCD? Will it fit a 5'6" guy? Will I really have no problems with airlines? (I'm in Australia if that helps). I need some real life actual opinions.

I plan to pair it with my suunto D6i (& transmiter) and get the accel fins to go with it. and a regular regulator and octo (well lightish ones).

Does anyone own one? Used one? Serviced one? Played with one? I mean it sounds good but a lot of things sound good in theory. I've kinda spent to much time daydreaming to be objective anymore so I need you guys.

Just back from dive trip took the jetpack as a carry on it traveled great, but (and it is a big one) Noticed that the tank pulls away from your back as there is no connection between the cumberbun and the thin tank support. This is a problem as it get worse with decreasing air pressure in the tank, by the end of the dive your tank is 45% off your back causing the regulator to bang you in the head.

I have called the company twice with no call back trying to find out if this is a problem with the way we are putting it together or if ours is defective or it is a design fault. So far no reply.

I can't promise a free Jetpack... but I'm sure that I can arrange a demo - shoot me a PM letting me know where you're located and I'll see what I can do.

My LDS stocks scubapro stuff, so I don't know if he's trying to steer me away from the Jetpack or it's not as great as I think it is. Thanks for the guide I'd seen that thread before kinda figured I'd say anything to get a free Jetpack =). ... Doug???

---------- Post added December 27th, 2013 at 02:01 PM ----------

dano718 - please give me a call directly.

Just back from dive trip took the jetpack as a carry on it traveled great, but (and it is a big one) Noticed that the tank pulls away from your back as there is no connection between the cumberbun and the thin tank support. This is a problem as it get worse with decreasing air pressure in the tank, by the end of the dive your tank is 45% off your back causing the regulator to bang you in the head.

I have called the company twice with no call back trying to find out if this is a problem with the way we are putting it together or if ours is defective or it is a design fault. So far no reply.

I have one. Just returned from a trip diving around Cancun/Cozumel/Playa del Carmen. It is a good BCD. It isn't my primary one. I use it just for travel for right now. I'm 5'11", about 180 lbs. I think it would be fine for most situations. The reason I don't use it for local diving is that the cover rolls out of the way and is a little awkward if you are worried about it getting caught one something. I'm trying to figure out how to modify it to get the cover rolled tighter and out of the way.

Scuba gear is worth a lot more to us than criminals, I travel with two bags emblazoned with Mares. Don't worry at all. Stolen Scuba gear just isn't something that's in high demand. IPods and iPhones however....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just purchased one in Boca Ratón and used four times. That's true: the tank pulls away from the back and becomes very uncomfortable in the surface!!!

still undecided. i really do like the idea though. @doug i'm still not ready to purchase yet but i will contact you when i am to see if i can get a test drive. i think it's a brilliant idea and perfect for my needs but as you say gotta try it to know =)

I recently saw one of these in a Florida dive shop. I was intrigued by the concept. It was actually two pieces. The outside was a drybag that fastened to the rest of the bag which inverted into the bcd. It had a lot of strapping, buckles, and there seemed to be a lot of play between the two pieces. Probably not that way when loaded up but made me weary of all the potential snagging possibilities. I too was curious if anyone had actually used one. My first impression was cool! Then I got all skeptical as usual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom