Aeris Atoms 2 - Multiple Failures/Breakdowns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talon

Contributor
Reaction score
I bought an Aeris Atoms 2 Computer about one year ago. After about two months (maybe 10-15 dives) it went nuts on me. During a surface interval the thing started beeping and saying I was at 300+ feet!!!! Was doing a short shallow dive on the next dive so I took it back in the water to see if it would clear itself. But to no avail, the thing keep wigging out. The dang thing beeped and screamed at me all the way home.

Took it back to the shop and they replaced it with a brand new one (GREAT customer service). I've had this one for about 10 months and this weekend it started to go on me. I forgot to turn it on before entering the water, but I noticed immediatly that the water had activiated it. Problem was that I was in maybe 4-5 feet of water, but the computer said I was at 15 or 16 feet. So I surfaced and low and behold I'm holding the thing in my hand (out of the water) and it still says I'm still at 11 feet. So even during the my service interval it thinks I'm still diving ;-)

Once again, put my equipment back on it hopes that it will clear itself once I get back in the water. But nope... No avail again!!!

By the time I got home that evening (drive home is another story - lets just say I had to get towed home and am putting a new transmission in my car now), the display was completly blank. Hadn't noticed a low battery indicator at anytime, but just in case I tried replacing the battery. When I opened the back up I didn't see even the slightest trace of water anywhere!!! But when I put the new battery in, I still can't turn the dang thing on.

Now to my point - has anyone else EVER had this type of problem with this computer????

Are you diving in salt or fresh water?

If in salt are you rinsing the computer in fresh water after every dive?

Salt crystals can cause damage to the sensor

If it is in Fresh water then you have a bad computer! exchange it and get rid of it.

Hallmac

YES! I've been through 3 Atmos 2's in about 4 months time. After the 3rd one wigged out on me in the EXACT SAME MANNER you describe I told the shop to keep it and I switched to the only other computer they had....a Mares M1. Now mind you, the Mares M1 isn't as user friendly, but I've had ZERO problems with it over the year I've been using it. It's been in salt, fresh, shallow and deep (120) without so much as a blip.

FYI...before I went with the Atmos 2, I had been through 2 Aeris Savants. I was actually thinking maybe Aeris had worked the bugs out and I might try getting a new one as backup, but after reading your post I've changed my mind!

I posted several monthes ago about my woes with the Aeris computers....do a search and you may find it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom