Aeris Atmos AI question - compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galvanni

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am considering this computer, but while I like the quick-disconnect option - I don't like the compass - I want to wear that on my BC or on my wrist. I like the more streamlined approach of the non-compass version.

So the question is - is it possible to remove the compass and if so, how do you do it?

I am considering this computer, but while I like the quick-disconnect option - I don't like the compass - I want to wear that on my BC or on my wrist. I like the more streamlined approach of the non-compass version.

So the question is - is it possible to remove the compass and if so, how do you do it?

I didn't get a response here so I e-mailed Aeris. They said I could either remove the compass on the detach unit or just by the detach unit separately.

I just bought this computer today! It is very functional and easy to use. You will love this computer. I have it here with me now. Looking at it, I can say that... yes... the compass can be removed. Although I sort-of like mine, and how it is set up.

I just bought this computer today! It is very functional and easy to use. You will love this computer. I have it here with me now. Looking at it, I can say that... yes... the compass can be removed. Although I sort-of like mine, and how it is set up.

What is left over in the mount area after you remove the compass?

What is left over in the mount area after you remove the compass?

Have not actually removed the compass yet. Let me get back with you. Looking at it now, though, it appears that there will definitely be some form of exposed mount on the computer housing once the compass is removed.

I will say this... when you're holding the computer in your hand, the compass is a lot more streamlined than it appears to be in online photos.

One other question for Atmos AI owners - do you also use a backup SPG?

Let me start by saying I dive a purely recreational setup with a lightweight recreational Oceanic BC. Nothing advanced or tech. I just bought the computer at my LDS today, so haven't dove with it yet. Right now, I am not planning on diving with a backup SPG just because of space and streamlining issues. If I had a wrist-mount computer, I would probably carry a mini guage set. As it stands, if I were to carry an analog SPG along with my Atmos, I'd be dealing with yet another hose and also have to find a place to mount it. :-/ The Atmos seems to have a pretty good record, so I am not too worried.

That being said, my old analog guage set has gone into my dive bag with my tool kit... so in the unlikely event the computer goes down or the battery dies, I will be able to surface, swap it out, and continue diving.

so in the unlikely event the computer goes down or the battery dies, I will be able to surface, swap it out, and continue diving.

But isn't the rule to call it for 24 hours after that happens and not continue to dive?

Thanks for the info on the mount by the way. And I tend to agree on having another hose to back up a hosed AI - a lot of hose getting in the way now.

But isn't the rule to call it for 24 hours after that happens and not continue to dive?

If the computer goes down or battery goes dead? I don't remember if there is a specific rule about that or not, to be honest. But I just have to use common sense on this one. I would likely ascend, do a slightly longer safety stop, and surface to swap out the console. That's assuming you KNOW you have not exceeded your NDL. I guess if you HAVE lost track of your NDL by a very significant amount it might not be a bad idea to stay out of the water for 24 hours.

"What ifs" like this one, in my opinion, are good reasons to know how to use dive tables, and to wear a dive watch as backup. Remember, no matter what the certifying agencies want you to believe, it's not impossible to dive without a computer and there are still a lot of people out there that do it, LOL.

Anyway... good luck... I think you will really enjoy this product. I know I am very impressed, especially with how customizable it is.

If the computer goes down or battery goes dead? I don't remember if there is a specific rule about that or not, to be honest. But I just have to use common sense on this one. I would likely ascend, do a slightly longer safety stop, and surface to swap out the console. That's assuming you KNOW you have not exceeded your NDL. I guess if you HAVE lost track of your NDL by a very significant amount it might not be a bad idea to stay out of the water for 24 hours.

"What ifs" like this one, in my opinion, are good reasons to know how to use dive tables, and to wear a dive watch as backup. Remember, no matter what the certifying agencies want you to believe, it's not impossible to dive without a computer and there are still a lot of people out there that do it, LOL.

Anyway... good luck... I think you will really enjoy this product. I know I am very impressed, especially with how customizable it is.

I know this is a really old post and I am resurrecting a dead thread...But just in case someone else comes across this thread doing a web search, the same way I did.... The rule is to surface for 24 hours and not dive until you are sure of your levels. If you have been keeping absolute track of your max depths, absolute bottom time, and being conservative, you could work the dive tables and continue to dive, but the rule is to surface for 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom