Aeris Atmos 2 problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minnesota01r6

Contributor
Reaction score
I bought 2 atmos 2 wrist computers from scubatoys for our recent trip to san pedro, belize. Mine worked fine but my girlfriend's computer had some "hiccups" on our trip:

First off, when I tried downloading her dives to my laptop it went a lot slower than with my computer. Then, I decided to do the 2 second sampling for a couple dives just for the fun of it. My computer downloaded fine, but hers had trouble again. it gave me some "runtime error" and closed the computer program, but the dive computer still had all the LCD display blacked out - like it was still connected to my laptop. I let it sit for 5 minutes, and it went back to normal, so I tried it again. This time it downloaded (although it took a long time) and then it locked up after the dive downloaded and just displayed "555". I figured I'd let it sit, so I checked out her dive profile. In the middle of the dive, it said she went from 60 feet to 1 foot to 60' in 2 seconds. I knew this was impossible (I think it might even violate the laws of physics), and so I waited for the dive computer to go back to normal - but it didn't. Luckily, she didn't plan on diving for 24 hours so I removed the battery, let it sit, and replaced the battery. Everything seemed to work fine from then on, and I re-downloaded the dive and it no longer had the 60 foot to 1 foot to 60 foot spike in it. So is this a defective dive computer, download cable, Aeris software, or what? Any help would be much appreciated.

minnesota01r6:
I bought 2 atmos 2 wrist computers from scubatoys for our recent trip to san pedro, belize. Mine worked fine but my girlfriend's computer had some "hiccups" on our trip:

First off, when I tried downloading her dives to my laptop it went a lot slower than with my computer. Then, I decided to do the 2 second sampling for a couple dives just for the fun of it. My computer downloaded fine, but hers had trouble again. it gave me some "runtime error" and closed the computer program, but the dive computer still had all the LCD display blacked out - like it was still connected to my laptop. I let it sit for 5 minutes, and it went back to normal, so I tried it again. This time it downloaded (although it took a long time) and then it locked up after the dive downloaded and just displayed "555". I figured I'd let it sit, so I checked out her dive profile. In the middle of the dive, it said she went from 60 feet to 1 foot to 60' in 2 seconds. I knew this was impossible (I think it might even violate the laws of physics), and so I waited for the dive computer to go back to normal - but it didn't. Luckily, she didn't plan on diving for 24 hours so I removed the battery, let it sit, and replaced the battery. Everything seemed to work fine from then on, and I re-downloaded the dive and it no longer had the 60 foot to 1 foot to 60 foot spike in it. So is this a defective dive computer, download cable, Aeris software, or what? Any help would be much appreciated.

plainly put, the software for downloading is extremely buggy. I had all the same problem you note. My dive computer works fine... but I needed to download the latest version of the downloader software from Aeris.

I've been through several Aeris computers....the last few being the Atmos 2. After the last one freaked and had me on a dive to 100-something feet in my living room I returned it and got my money back. I've since purchased a MARES M1 and have had it for over 2 years.....not a single glitch. I also have a DiveRite Duo that I recently purchased....give it a run this weekend.

Do a search on my screenname and Aeris and I think you'll find my other posts (long) regarding my bad luck with Aeris.

My experience with the Atmos2 has been great. Great performance, great response from the factory, good performance in the water.

The software, however, is just plain terrible. Buggy is not a strong enough word. Yuck. I'm glad it was free, because I sure wouldn't pay any money for it.

Just offhand, it sounds like your issues stem from the software.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom