Advise on A New REG Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hover

Reaction score
I am a recreational diver and most of my dives are in warm waters but I am looking to expand my skills and certification level. To do this I need to get a reg setup that is of good quality and will be versatile. I am finally trading in the old Dacor reg set up that I have had for years and am looking to purchase a quality reg system. I would like to get any input on my choices , preferably from those that have first hand experience with them. I have narrowed my choices down to either Apex or ScubaPro. The apex models I am looking into are the TX100 or the DST first stage and a TX100 or TX50 second stage and the TX40 as an octo. ScubaPro MK 20 first stage and a S600 second stage with the R380 as octo. Whats your preference? I have not been able to find any negative info on them. I am going crazy :bonkers: trying to decide. I cant wait to get rid of the dacor rig and use a quality reg setup that can handle the transition from open water diver to more advanced levels of certification.

Hi hover,

Saw your post over on Scubadiving.com. I would agree with some of the advice you received over there = APEKS. I have been researching my first reg choice for a few months now and have chosen the Apeks TX-100 after a lot of research, questions and trying one recently in the water.

Why -- a few reasons. First, even the most cursory research on various scuba-related sites on the web will turn out a ton of uniformly positive comments on Apeks regs. See the link below from scubadiving.com regarding their ratings of "new" regulators. While this is not a definitive resource on higher end regs (they only rate new or recently updated models in this article), it still shows that the Apeks regs stack up VERY well against some very good competition. Do a quick search on this site and others using the word "Apeks" and you'll get many useful responses.

Second -- other divers I know have very good things to say about them....very well-built; tough-can take a lot of abuse without a decrease in performance; environmentally sealed first stage (keeps out water more effectively); effective in colder water situations (I live in New England), etc., etc. This includes some of my more technical diving friends. These regs are also used by some of the world's elite technical/cave divers -- a meaningful endorsement if there ever was one.

Third -- I used the reg in the water and I found it easy breathing and comfortable.

Some things to mention -- larger than average second stage....I did not find this to be noticeable at all, but if you do lots of traveling and want a minimlist reg, perhaps this could be an issue. Non-standard hoses -- to me this is not a big deal, but to some tech divers who want to standardize the hoses they use, this can be somewhat of a big deal. The reg comes with a 1/2" inch hose for the second stage ("standard" is 3/8"). Port orientation -- also not totally standard -- some of the ports are at a slight angle...again not a big issue to most, but if you are particular about your hose routing, this could have a slight impact on your gear config. Swivel (TX-50) vs. non-swivel (TX-100). I prefer a non-swivel first stage -- personal preference.

Anyway, hope this is helpful. Good luck with your search.

http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/16newregs/review.shtml

Hey Hover,

I have some comments for you - as I was in the precisely same spot as you - I did end up with a Scuba Pro G250/Mk20 w/R190 backup as you describe -

Reasons I chose ScubaPro - Free parts for annual service - simple as that. Apeks does the same thing - biannually - but I dive a LOT, so I want my regs serviced at least every year.

As far as the TX100/S600 goes...
These second stages both use composite materials, ahh, they may be 7 1/2 grams lighter, but the functionality is identical to that of the lower models TX50 and G250 - difference - when people tell you that Scuba Pro makes an awesome regulator - they are not talking about what came out yesterday or last year, they are talking about what they have been diving for 5 years, that would be the G250 or the TX50, these are the proven models - the other once are never and have not had the time to be proven out yet.

As far as the first stage - I would go with the older "proven" swivel, it will also allow you to side mount the first stage on doubles should it ever come to that...

As far as performance - I could not tell a difference - I know that my G250 breathes as easy as anything I have ever tried.

I stuck it with the composite materials and the parts warranty - that's it.

You can find a lot of data in this thread as well:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=1710

Good luck - GO DIVING!
Terkel

Same regs as WetDane,similar reasons.If you ask the guys actually doing all those advanced dives,you'll find G-250s very well-recommended.Breathing machines are nice,but real world performance and reliability are why you don't see Atomic & Seaira regs on the top of the list for advanced diving,even tho they are indisputeably better regs on paper & press than anything else.Another consideration is your buddies(pl) choice of gear.In a heavily task-loaded envirinment gear un-familiarity is not a good thing...Good Luck

Either of the regs would give you good service but another point to consider is , is there a GOOD service center near you? If it's a toss up between brand "X" and brand "Y" and there is a good shop for one close by and the other service center is a long way away, go with the one with the closer service center. Another way to look at this is, does "your" dive shop carry the reg you want? I am not suggesting that you get a reg you don't want/like but if you are trying to decide between 2 good regs (like the 2 you are looking at)and one of the two is sold by a shop you regulary use, then why not give them the busness. A little good will can go a long way......Say, when you need that tank filled at just after closing time....

Hi Hover

I recently traded in my MK20/G500 (actually my wife now gets a MK20/G500) for a MK20/S600. Not a huge differance between the two. I love them both.

Ken

Hi Hover - just my opinions but I wished I'd taken some advice prior to purchasing my reg before jumping in so I hope this helps.

I originally bought a Scubapro mk20 / R380 setup (against my instructor's advice due to the fact he believes that if diving in cold water, environmental sealing is advisable). Mistakenly, I allowed myself to be taken in my the Scubapro marketing literature - i.e. their revolutionary 'Thermal Insulating System'. I had also used Scubapro stuff before (albeit abroad in warmer climes)

I did a few UK dives with it (all under 18m) and it seemed a great setup - breathed reasonably easy etc. In fact, all was fine until I did a 30m dive in Stoney Cove (UK) a couple of weeks ago. The water temp at 30m was NOT that cold (showed as 9c on my comp). As I approached 30m, the reg started freeflowing and I could do nothing to stop it. Took my buddy's octo, got him to turn off my 1st stage, waited a moment or two and gently switched it back on - started freeflowing almost immediately again, so we had to abandon the dive)

To cut a long story short, took it back to the store I bought it and they were great about it. I told them what had happened and they agreed to replace it with ANY reg in the shop. Needless to say, I opted for the Apeks TX100 / TX40 and LOVE it. Not as compact as the scubapro but reassuringly chunky and, more importantly in my opinion, the 1st stage is environmentally sealed.

Hope this helps a little

BTW, I had only had the Scubapro stuff about 8 weeks and had made 5 dives when it freeflowed!!

Back
Top Bottom