Advise for Rescue Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snowdog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I have started the Rescue Diver Course. The issue she is having related to “Over-Thinking” (and stressing about) the up-coming Pool and Open-Water drills.
Does anyone have any advice to help reduce her “Over-Thinking” and hence stress.
Thank you

The out of air skills.... Mainly.

I start my rescue course at the end of august. Would you mind keeping this thread updated with your experiences and thoughts on the course?

Cheers.

Will do.

What about the OOA skills is she having trouble with? If you have a good buddy an OOA is an annoyance. If your buddy sucks you may die or have to do a CESA. Part of the course should be self rescue and preventing problems like OOA before it even happens. That means gas management. If an equipment failure results in an OOA that again is why you have a buddy.

I'm teaching a rescue course tomorrow. We'll be talking about dive planning to avoid OOA's and doing air shares and buddy breathing.

When I did the rescue course my buddy and his son and I spent a couple of hours on our own in their pool going over some of the the drills until we felt very comfortable. We practiced paniced diver on the surface and underwater, bringing unconsious diver to the surface, removing gear, and a few others I'm sure. All 3 of us found that very helpful. Practice helped a lot when we did the rescue in open water. Having only the 3 of us in the class was also a bonus.

My wife and I have started the Rescue Diver Course. The issue she is having related to “Over-Thinking” (and stressing about) the up-coming Pool and Open-Water drills.
Does anyone have any advice to help reduce her “Over-Thinking” and hence stress.
Thank you

Just make her aware that the instructor is not there to fail her, he is there to teach her. At least in today's instructional setting (especially in diving) a huge emphasis is put on working with students until they succeed, rather than failing them outright. I would suggest that she just memorize and repeat to herself the various acronyms used by the different organizations with regard to OOA situations or rescue breathing situations. After awhile, the steps will begin to simply "play back" through her head as she goes through the motions and everything will go smoothly.

In any case, just relax and have fun!

My wife and I just finished a Rescue diver course. Don't worry about it. The hardest part is the towing back to the boat. Of course we're both over 50 so we were pretty tired. But its not a pass/fail scenario. Just do the best you can.

I would recommend that she simply prepare the best she can, show up and try her hardest. Your instructor really is there to provide you with the information and expertise to succesfully complete each skill and scenario. Rescue is a favorite course of most instructors, so just suggest to your wife that she relax, enjoy and "pick" your instructors brain for any insights he can share that werent in the academics. Also by remembering the proper/suggested sequence of events the course will be more satisfying because she wont be "guessing" what should come next. Good Luck..

Cheers,
Roger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom