advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broncrider

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
diving in to say hi. a little bit of history, a friend of mine took me diving about 20 years ago and i loved it. shortly after me and the wife started having kids and never found the time to go get certified. now the kids are just about grown and i am really interested in getting it done. i live in poolville which is about 18 miles NW of weatherford, Tx. any advice on a good place to go. i have been looking at going to talk to the people at scuba point at pk. i have lived around pk all my life and i know that part of the lake pretty well. but i would consider any where. all advice is appreciated.

thanks
Broncrider

Check with Surface Interval Scuba in Arlington,,,,,and Lonestar Scuba in Fort Worth. The folks out at the PK shop are really nice and I am sure for an O/W class you would do fine with them. Interview the instructor if possible to get to know them a bit more. Also a few indp. instructors hang out on this forum, and that is another option. Good luck. :wink:

broncrider:
diving in to say hi. a little bit of history, a friend of mine took me diving about 20 years ago and i loved it. shortly after me and the wife started having kids and never found the time to go get certified. now the kids are just about grown and i am really interested in getting it done. i live in poolville which is about 18 miles NW of weatherford, Tx. any advice on a good place to go. i have been looking at going to talk to the people at scuba point at pk. i have lived around pk all my life and i know that part of the lake pretty well. but i would consider any where. all advice is appreciated.

thanks
Broncrider

Poo-ville :rofl3: You gotta get out of that place !

Don't shoot Man Just Kidding :D
'Lived in Weatherford myself in the 70's and 80's.

Ditto on what TexDiveGuy says......

As for diving spots ....
I bet there are a few good private stock ponds near you these days but like the rest of us you'll need to drive a bit to get to the fun spots. You are pretty close to PK so you have that going for you !! Try Clear Spings Scuba Park and Tyler State Park too it has nice fish to feed and then there is Athens Scuba Park You can do an adventure dive at The Valhalla Missile Silo sometime too out near Abilene :wink: Then of course I have to recomend Lake Murray, Oklahoma and Lake Tenkiller too. My favorite place.... Lake Broken Bow, Ok.

You can head South and do Lake Travis and ... well I'll let somebody else fill in some of the others.

So you have some day trips and some over night trips too. Enjoy !

i appreciate everybodys input. if there are any independent instructors out there, as long as the price is reasonable i can probably get about 5 or 6 of us together for the class. just drop me a line and we'll go from there. some of the places you mentioned i have been reading about and they sound great. i used to go to squaw creek with a friend of mine, then it was pretty clear and up on the north end there were some old houses and barns to go through. i loved it.

broncrider:
i appreciate everybodys input. if there are any independent instructors out there, as long as the price is reasonable i can probably get about 5 or 6 of us together for the class. just drop me a line and we'll go from there. some of the places you mentioned i have been reading about and they sound great. i used to go to squaw creek with a friend of mine, then it was pretty clear and up on the north end there were some old houses and barns to go through. i loved it.

I believe Squaw Creek is off limits these days to dive in due to it being a power plant lake and all. ( Terrorism Issue). It looks like that could change in the near future though.

last i heard you are right its off limits but i really enjoyed it years ago. i hope they open squaw creek back up it was fun.

I enjoyed Squaw Creek back in the 80's....I also heard that since the reactor came online, there was a huge algae bloom in the lake that destroyed the vis....

And some of the agricultural changes (chicken farms...or maybe pig farms--I can't remember which) that are on the watershed have greatly contributed to the declining visibility. Those types of plants add huge amounts of nitrates and organic matter to the water, and that contributes to algal blooms.

Back
Top Bottom