Advice wanted: to dive Oz or not on long trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquapro:
How can you visit Oz and not dive one of the natural wonders of the world!

Well you're right but this :

Darnold9999:
Not as spectacular as some of the other Pacific spots, but still pretty good diving. Much more interesting than any of the Caribbean diving I have done. (Belize, Cayman, Cozumel, Bahamas). Not much in the way of larger pelagics - don't think I saw anything larger than the large cod at cod hole. No manta no sharks.

doesn't fit with this :

Spotlightlover :
We enjoy seeing large animals, large schools of fish, and unique animals not often or previously seen.

Last edited:
I'd be really surprised to not see sharks on the Coral Sea trip given they do a shark feed! Often 50 or so. Once i was lucky enough to even see a hammerhead. Over winter on the Barrier reef the minke whales are out to play, and you can occasionally see mantas out at the coral sea. So plenty of big stuff!!

Air One, you quoted me yet i have no recollection of the context nor have I been able to find the thread, could you tell me please which thread I wrote this in? thanks

Not as spectacular as some of the other Pacific spots, but still pretty good diving. Much more interesting than any of the Caribbean diving I have done. (Belize, Cayman, Cozumel, Bahamas). Not much in the way of larger pelagics - don't think I saw anything larger than the large cod at cod hole. No manta no sharks.

Agree with MA. Where the Hell were they diving?!! Go do the shark feed at Osprey Reef on the boats mentioned above. I have dived the Caribean too, and although similar I have seen Mantas and all sorts of big pelagics on the GBR. Depends on time of year and also whether they are around.

By the way, rememebr we get Minke Whales June to December. Dont get them in the Caribean!!! :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did the week-long itinerary out on Mike Ball last December and had an awesome time. Saw tons of sharks and a manta (though also plenty of other large rays) - so not sure where this idea there's no "big stuff" is coming from? I was relatively inexperienced when I did the trip, but they are set up to deal with all experience levels, which is great. Got a lot more dives under my belt now though! I only recall doing one drift dive on the entire trip out at Osprey Reef. The rest of the dive sites were pretty sheltered and were just "jump off the platform at the back of the boat, have a swim around and come back when you're low on air". No time limits or anything. Really easy diving :) Had a great time :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom