Advice wanted: to dive Oz or not on long trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm planning my first, perhaps only, trip to Australia from the USA, 3-4 weeks in Nov-Dec 2011 with my husband, and I'm trying to decide whether to include a 4-night Coral Sea trip with Mike Ball. The rest of our trip will be land-based tourism so our focus is not primarily on diving.

We have dived most of the Caribbean, and took one spectacular whale shark/hammerhead liveaboard trip in the Galapagos. We enjoy seeing large animals, large schools of fish, and unique animals not often or previously seen. We were disappointed in our last trip (aboard the Cayman Aggressor) where the diving seemed ho-hum (except for Freddy the Nassau grouper, who is tame as a dog and likes to be petted!).

I am a 65YO small female, 110 lbs., 150+ dives over 10 trips in 20 years. I'm in reasonably good condition, but I'm not a strong swimmer in currents, and diving is strenuous at my age - at most I can do 3 dives in a day. I don't want to overextend myself and not enjoy the rest of our trip, so I need to decide if the experience is likely to be worth expending the vacation days, physical energy, $$$, and extra luggage required for a dive excursion.

So, in summary, I'd appreciate any opinions from well-traveled divers about unique diving sights in Oz vs. Caribbean diving; and also information about possible difficult diving conditions, particularly current.

Thanks!

I haven't done a liveaboard, but we did a ten day trip to Australia in 2005 (it was actually the reason I got certified). We spent three days in Byron Bay, diving Julian Rocks. It was spectacular, and I would love to go back and do it again. The town is a little self-consciously cute but has some very nice lodging and some excellent restaurants, and the bay is stunning. The diving was fantastic -- huge schools of fish, sharks, turtles, and rays, as well as nudibranchs and flatworms, beautiful crinoids and ascidians. Just a wealth of life, and it's very easy diving. We had a little surge, but no current.

I have done two Mike Ball liveaboards to the Coral Sea, both of which were fabulous. In terms of diversity, nothing in the Caribbean can compare to a legitimate dive destination in the Western Pacific or Indian Ocean, so don't let your Caribbean experience guide you. Don't let your Galapagos experience guide you either; the Galapagos may be the premier dive destination in the world--especially for the things you like--so going there early in your dive career is a set-up for later disappointment. I am not familiar with Mike Ball's shorter itineraries, so I can't comment, but there are many dive sites on the Great Barrier Reef that are disappointing, so choose carefully.

The only challenging conditions we had were on a day that the weather kicked up on the site of the Yongala wreck. I have done easy dives there too, so--like most dive spots--the weather matters, but the wreck lies in open ocean, so it matters more there. The Yongala may be on Mike Ball's short itineraries.

While I cannot offer your an opinion re Oz vs. Caribbean, I suggest you send a pm to Aquapro Dive Services, a SB poster who lives in Cairns, FNQ. Aquapro Dive Services may be able to give you some advice about the Coral Sea.

We enjoy seeing large animals, large schools of fish, and unique animals not often or previously seen.

My 2 cts : you should'nt go diving the GBR , go South dive South West Rocks to see the Grey Nurse Sharks and also Montague Island ( Narooma) if you want to dive with seals.

Of course you should also try do surch for leafy and weedy sea dragons : Rapid Bay for example or near Melbourne.

Last edited:
How can you visit Oz and not dive one of the natural wonders of the world!

The best the Reef has to offer is definitely the Ribbon Reefs and Coral Sea. Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom are definitely the pick and also offer great service. You don’t have to do the 4 dives a day on offer, and you certainly have enough time at the sites to take long or short dives. Some of the sites like Steve’s Bommie, Picture postcard and of course the Cod Hole are amazing places where you will see life you defiantly will not see elsewhere.

You will get good attention on both boats and both offer good, attentive crews. The only concern I may point out, is that December is coming into our rainy / cyclone reason. So if you are travelling and it does get stormy currents can get up a bit. Now don’t be put off by this time of year as the water is amazingly warm, and clear, but be aware of weather conditions that may make currents a bit stronger. Sites are selected for their ease in such conditions, and also your dive experience sounds quite good and better than a lot of passengers on this trip.

Most sites are sheltered and currents are generally checked out prior to entry in to the water.

I would say go as you may never be back here for a long time, and may regret it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

Where will your land based excursions be leading you

the place is almost as big as a Continent

with plenty of pop in towns

with dive sites

a day

Thanks everyone, for all the input, particularly Aquapro. I think you're absolutely right, I've gotta do it! My dive years are waning fast and I won't have this chance again.

I appreciate all the detailed information. We're looking at the Nov. 24-28 trip on Mike Ball so I hope we'll be lucky with the weather and get there ahead of the storms.

I did a 4 day trip with Mike Ball a few years ago - got me back into local diving here at home. Very much enjoyed the experience. It was my first liveaboard and got me hooked.

Not as spectacular as some of the other Pacific spots, but still pretty good diving. Much more interesting than any of the Caribbean diving I have done. (Belize, Cayman, Cozumel, Bahamas). Not much in the way of larger pelagics - don't think I saw anything larger than the large cod at cod hole. No manta no sharks.

The dives are easy, the Mike Ball operation excellent. Likely to be a real mix of people on the boat as opposed to the mostly American groups on the Caribbean trips.

Strongly suggest that you do this diving rather than the day trips out of Cairns or Port Douglas. Just not the same reef.

Do it, you won't regret it.

Back
Top Bottom