Advice wanted for diving with kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have certified 12 and 13 yr olds that I'd trust to save me before some adults. I just certed a 10 yr old young lady that I know could at least get me up from depth and tow me to shore.

IIRC, you instruct under S.E.I. and their OW course includes more rescue skill teaching than PADI requires. Is that correct? I mention this because while there's a good deal of overlap amongst some mainstream dive training agencies (e.g.: PADI and SSI), there are some differences. You also cared enough about dive training to literally write a book on it, as linked in your signature.

Stick to areas in the Caribbean and Florida that have shallower depths to start out, stay away from the Carolina's for now as that is more advanced diving with long boat rides. Also I would definitely hire a guide through the operator to dive with you and the kids. I disagree with many of the posters that 12-13 is too young. If the young person has the discipline and actually wants to learn they make some of the best divers once they are comfortable in the water. I went diving a week ago and the 12 year old, using doubles on a backplate, was one of the best divers on the boat. I personally started diving at 13 in 1984.

I personally started diving at 13 in 1984.

If 1971 is the year you were born (the year I was), I'm jealous!

If 1971 is the year you were born (the year I was), I'm jealous!

That is the year I was born, I am very lucky that I grew up in South Florida.

There's quite a few of us old folks. I was certified by LA County in 1970, when I was 16. How do you think I ended up diving with a son who is 36 and a daughter who is 31? You guys are young whippersnappers.

I just wanted to commend you for simply having had this thought. You might be surprised how many people who dive with their kids think only of how they would be able to help their kids, not the other way around. It's not even always about "something serious"; buddy teams should be able to make decisions together and look out for each other generally.
I agree. Again, my view is about being able to make decisions as you say. Yes as a buddy team, but especially whether kids this age WILL be able to in a serious situation.
I am sure Jim is correct in that he would trust some youngsters to rescue himself more than some adults. But, how many of us have ever been in a real emergency situation in general (well, some have), but specifically when a youngster had to make a life or death decision? That may well be different than a 10 year old acing a written OW exam or even successfully bringing up an unconscious diver in a swimming pool class. Why take the chance?

Parents and children seem different today. Parents in my neighborhood drive their kids down the street to the bus if it is cold, raining, or snowing. Unless it was pouting rain, we walked to school. No, I did not walk uphill to school both directions through any weather.

I can't help but think expectations of scuba training have also changed. I expected my children to be responsible and obey their training, in general, they did. I never really had any problem with either of them, though they did occasionally do barrel rolls.

I don't really think kids are much different than when I started teaching that age in 1977. At least from '77 to '96. After that, well I was retired. What years are we talking about re "different"? I recall in the '80s people saying kids just play video games and don't go outside much any more like years ago. That was 35 years ago.
I suppose kids are way different from when I was young in the '60s or slightly before. Not sure if any of that has to do with a 10-11 year old's mental ability performing a life saving scuba rescue

I disagree with many of the posters that 12-13 is too young.
For me 12-13 is not too young, is a bit too late. Better to start much earlier (of course with very minimal depth and very safe environment)...

Just skimmed the earlier responses, so sorry if I missed this. Is the mother in the picture and would she get certified? I ask because in our case my wife and I are long time certified with many dives, and very self reliant. We have three children and waited till the twins were 13 to get them all certified together. It's much more relaxing knowing that if one of the kids required 100% focus, the other adult would stay with the other two. Our kids are well behaved and were diligent in class, but they were still kids. As a newly certified diver I cannot imagine try to manage two youths in addition to trying to gain skills and competence. Assistance from a pro is an extremely good idea, and I would also recommend you get some dives in with out the kids, be so you can focus on getting yourself dialed in and more comfortable underwater.

All that said you will have a blast diving with your kids, and hopefully it will be something you all come back together to do as a family in the years to come.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom