Advice to newbie about BCD suitable for future photography needs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loko

Registered
Reaction score
Latitude 1°19'37.40"N Longitude 103°49'26.57"E (Si
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I am new but hooked and am about to buy a BC. The one recommended - ScubaPro T Sport seems suitable as I travel often and can take time off to dive.
However, I am keen to bring my camera (Canon 20D) underwater in a housing at a later stage (when skills allow it) and wonder if a compact BCD is adequate. My experience of nature photographers on land is that large numbers of pockets are needed for the various add-ons. Do underwater photographers have similar needs? or are D rings sufficient to cater for future needs? The various threads I tried to follow on the forum do not address this question.

How about a Zeagle Stiletto BC.

DSLR users on land generally carry an assorment of lenses, but for u/w DSLR photo you need to decide ahead of time what lens to use because you can't open the housing to switch the lens. So you won't need as many pockets to carry lenses for your D20 as a land photographer would. However if you opt to dive with a compact camera that allows wetmount lenses on the external port of the housing, then you might need one pocket to store the lenses in while they are not attached to the housing. Stobes for both DSLR and compact cameras generally mount on the housing, so you don't need a place to store those when you're not shooting, and you don't use a light meter underwater, so no need to carry one of those either. In sum, don't worry too much about the BC in terms of appropriateness for photo other than that you need one that fits correctly so that you can remain stable while shooting.

Whatever fits you and you're comfortable with will work. Don't fall into a trap that you need to have a special BC for taking photographs. Think diving first and photography second. :wink:

Gary D.

Gary D.:
Whatever fits you and you're comfortable with will work. Don't fall into a trap that you need to have a special BC for taking photographs. Think diving first and photography second. :wink:

Gary D.

Could no agree more.. and the vest versus BP/W or Back inflate is silly. I know lots of photographers that lay almost flat when taking pictures, and either works. I suspect that most photo people sort of ignore there equipment after a while and worry (say spend) about camera issues.

One thing with a lot of BCs is they may have lots of pockets but most are unusable when the BC is tightened fully during a dive and especially when it has some air in it.

Certainly my old mares (before it fell to pieces) was of that sort and ive tried a few scubapros the same. Put something in the pocket on land, get underwater and find the pocket is now restricted due to fit of jacket and cant get the thing out, certainly not restow.

I'd recommend either getting pockets on the wet or drysuit or using one of the thigh mount strap pockets.

loko:
Hi, I am new but hooked and am about to buy a BC. The one recommended - ScubaPro T Sport seems suitable as I travel often and can take time off to dive.
However, I am keen to bring my camera (Canon 20D) underwater in a housing at a later stage (when skills allow it) and wonder if a compact BCD is adequate. My experience of nature photographers on land is that large numbers of pockets are needed for the various add-ons. Do underwater photographers have similar needs? or are D rings sufficient to cater for future needs? The various threads I tried to follow on the forum do not address this question.
You won't need pockets for your camera underwater. You won't be switching lenses underwater. If you're bringing your 20D on a dive, you'll have your housing and strobes ready to go, and what you bring is what you'll use. So - a D Ring is all you'll need to clip it off for ascents and descents. During the dive, my camera is in my hands at all times (except when I stop to catch a lobster)

Fit is important. Bulkiness is to be avoided. Anything dangling as your swimming, hovering while shooting pics...may get entangled because your're focused on the subject and become less aware of your suroundings. Having said this.

You will HAVE to master trim and bouyance PLUS air consumption, which will make you a better diver and thus make you more stable in the water as your shooting film.

So to add...avoid a bulky BC. Best is a Backplate and wing. Have pockets on your wetsuit or drysuit. Just avoid anything dangling.

Prepare ahead of time of what your going to shoot. IE Fish, wrecks, marine plants etc...And set up accordingly.

Safe dives
Stephen

Back
Top Bottom