Advice requested regarding drysuit pockets and accessories in general

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Laconic

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning to send my DUI drysuit in to add some pockets, which I really should have gotten in the first place.

I know I want SOME pockets, because I changed to a BP/W this year and don't have BCD pockets anymore, and SOME is better than NONE. But I'm not sure what's going to be the best choice for the long haul. I want something that's going to be good for cold-water tec diving, in case I head down that road.

DUI offers large (9.5 x 6) and small (6 x 6) zipper pockets, a large cargo pocket (11 x 7.5) and large (11 x 7) and small (9.5 x 6.5) bellows pockets.

DUI drysuit pockets
I'm ruling out the utility pockets because they're neoprene and I'd rather have the durability of cordura. But whew. :confused: No wonder i'm daunted. Any recommendations (and reasons)?

I'm also going to add a p-valve. Even though I'm not doing deco stops (yet), the need to micturate has cast a pall over a few dives in the past. Any other recommendations (I pretty much have no extras on my FLX Extreme as it is)? Pads? Zipseals?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

you are very lucky, you are less than an hour from one of the best scuba shops in the country, and probably the #2 for drysuit repair behind Steve Gamble. Drive to Dive Right in Scuba, Mike and the guys there will be able to guide you.
Scuba Diving Services - Drysuit Repairs, Regulator Repairs, and Scuba Tank Maintenance, and Gas fills including Nitrox, Air, and Trimix Fills
Dry Suit Accessories - Get the Best and Latest Drysuit Accessories at Discount Prices - Dive Right in Scuba

I don't recommend the zip seals, while convenient they are horrendously expensive, so putting a ring system is better in the long run. DRiS has many in stock for you to look at as well as a full array of latex, silicone, and neoprene seals.

They have a full array of P-valves, and pockets from brands other than DUI that may be better for you. That way you can touch/feel all of them in person. It is seriously well worth the drive out there.....

Large bellows pockets.....you'll be surprised how much you'll store in them once you start tec diving. They are pretty much the go to style for TEC diving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Large bellows pockets, for sure.

I prefer the Halcyon p-valve. Flow resistance is low, and the duckbill valve seems to last longer than others.

Hmm. I've been looking for an excuse to get out to DRIS. It would save me shipping costs too.

---------- Post added November 5th, 2014 at 09:38 PM ----------

Large bellows pockets, for sure.

I prefer the Halcyon p-valve. Flow resistance is low, and the duckbill valve seems to last longer than others.

Thanks. That (and everyone else's replies) helps a lot.

So my plan then is: drive out to DRIS, check out the pockets and the p-valves, with special attention to large bellows pockets and the Halcyon p-valve.

Last edited:
I put a halcyon exploration pocket on my wetsuit. I like the pocket layout. Main pocket has easy velcro access. Small zippered compartment on the flap, plus inner sleeve for wetnotes. Makes it easier to know where everything is when I'm reaching in...

Just saying don't limit yourself to DUI pockets.

Halcyon pockets; the large ones. They are expensive but they are very nice.

I agree with TS&M on the Halcyon p-Valve. The duckbill valve has held up much better that the Light Monkey P-valve I had on my old dry suit.

Light Monkey may now use a newer duckbill valve.

Back
Top Bottom