Advice requested- 2nd Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Celeus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First, thanks to all the folks that have already posted usefull information here- it's been quite helpfull.

However, I haven't managed to draw in all the information to make a fully informed choice on my next purchase- another regulator.

Here is the scoop- I've got around 60 dives, over about 6 months, I dive mostly in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle), with trips to Canada and a couple of warm-water trips. Cold water temps can get a bit chilly- last weekend was 40F in Nanaimo, and I suspect I may end up doing some ice dives at some point in the relatively distant future.

I've decided to get a second 30ft^3 cylinder on a sling. This is because after 75-100 dives I plan to take some additional classes that will need it, and because I'd like a bit extra cushion in case of an OOA.

Presently I have a Scubapro MK18/G250HP, which I have been happy enough with. I am getting a MK2+ to replace the "troubled" first stage on my argon bottle, for what that is worth.

I'm trying to decide between getting a lower end 1st/2nd for the new cylinder (e.g. another MK2+) or going for another higher-end reg set as my primary and using the MK18/G250 on the new cylinder.

Does anyone have any sugestions of regs to consider given this? I am not wedded to scubapro. For example, I've been looking at a Mares Proton Ice (not extreme) for an attractive price- but I'm a bit confused as to whether VAD is equivalent to or better than a balanced 2nd stage.

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks again!

I don't have any experience with water that cold. But I would imagine a reg with a sealed 1st stage would be best. I know a lot of folks like Apeks regs which are enviromentally sealed.

I have a mr-22 from mares myself. It has always been a good reg to me, except that it has a tendency to free flow. Which is why I would go with the apexs if I had it to do all over again.

But like I said I don't dive those conditions, so what the hell do I know anyway...

A Sherwood Blizzard would be a poor choice in that application as it relies on air bleeding into the ambient chamber to keep it dry. If you pressurize the stage/pony/deco bottle and then turn the valve back off (the usual procedure for a slung bottle) you will not have enough gas to keep the ambient chamber dry once you descend. If you leave the valve on, you will dribble air out the ambient chamber for the entire dive and even if you do not have a freeflow, you will over a few dives deplete the tank much more than you would with a normal regulator.

The Mk 17 is fully sealed and as indicated above it is a good choice for cold water. I have never had or heard of a properly maintained Mk 17 freezing up. A fully sealed first stage does not make the second stage immune from freezing, but it does make the first stage extremely reliable in cold water.

On the other side of the coin, I have never had the unsealed MK 2 Plus freeze up either. The Mk16 and turret equipped Mk 18 are also very reliable in cold water. The heat transfer in these regs is very efficient and they actually make very good cold water regs. The Mk 2 is particularly well suited to a pony or deco bottle application where it is not likely to be used under heavy exertion at maximum depth for a great lenght of time. And it is are also comparatively lightweight, compact, extremely simple and reliable and well suited by design for high % O2 use.

With regard to a second stage, the X650 is a very good cold water second stage as is the G250HP. The S600 has a tendency to develop a very slight freeflow in very cold water. The R190,295,290,390,380, etc all share the smae unbalanced poppet design. They are very reliable but also have a slightly higher work of breathing. On what may one day be a deco reg where I will spend a lot of time breathing, I'd prefer a balanced second stage.

If it were my decision, I'd probably get a Mk 17 with an X650 or G250HP second stage. It will work fine as a pony/deco reg now and will easily rise to the greater demand of being a primary or seocndary reg in a doubles configuration once you advance a little farther and discover that doubles (either manifolded or independent) will serve you better than a single tank and a large pony.

I dive pretty much exclusively Great Lakes wrecks, and have had water in the same temp range as you. I use a Zeagle ZX-DSV and haven't had even the slightest hint of trouble with it, down to 140 feet in 42 degree water. I'd give that a good hard look if I was you, for use as your primary, and switch your current reg to the pony bottle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom