Advice re: Scubapro Mk5 or Mk10 DIN conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point, Angelo, about the washer being in an air-only zone.

Well, this is interesting ... and disappointing. My Mk5 with the thin yoke has an HP port that is LP-sized (3/8" rather than 7/16"). I see that Piranha sells an HP hose with a 3/8" male end for just such circumstances, but I may just invest the money in later model Mk5 or a second Mk10.

Well, this is interesting ... and disappointing. My Mk5 with the thin yoke has an HP port that is LP-sized (3/8" rather than 7/16"). I see that Piranha sells an HP hose with a 3/8" male end for just such circumstances, but I may just invest the money in later model Mk5 or a second Mk10.
I would go with a second MK10.
Couv has some in excellent conditions for sale.
I also have such an old MK5 (the turret has just two LP ports), and I used it as single reg for deco bottles. It is good staying at 9 meters maximum... I used it the last time something as 10 years ago. Should be serviced now...

Thank you @Angelo Farina

@Enraptured of the Deep An adapter is a better investment than a size specific hose. VDH has a hp 3/8 male to 7/16 female adapter for $6
Store | Vintage Double Hose

BTW all you MK5 fans, please holster your weapons. Enraptured brings up yet another reason MK10s are usually a better bet than the MK5.
A few more gems:
All MK10s have 2 standard size hp ports-some MK5s only have one hp port, often not 7/16
All MK10s have 5 lp ports-MK5s have 2-5
Most (not all) MK10s have a SS turret retainer. MK5s have a variety of turret retainers and seldom have one made of SS.
All MK10s have a heavy yoke-only some MK5 do.
All MK10s are compatible with a SP Universal DIN kit or yoke, in fact one can use any SP yoke or DIN from any SP first stage built after the MK10-not so with a MK5
Couv has lots of MK10s for sale-does not have any MK5s :-D

I may have a few of those 3/8-7/16 adaptors in my shop, I will never need them so let me know if you want to go that route.

Thank you @Angelo Farina

@Enraptured of the Deep An adapter is a better investment than a size specific hose. VDH has a hp 3/8 male to 7/16 female adapter for $6
Store | Vintage Double Hose

BTW all you MK5 fans, please holster your weapons. But Enraptured brings up yet another reason MK10s are usually a better bet than the MK5.
A few more gems:
All MK10s have 2 standard size hp ports-some MK5s only have one hp port, often not 7/16
All MK10s have 5 lp ports-MK5s have somewhere between 2 & 5
Most (not all) 10s have a SS turret retainer. MK5 have a variety of turret retainers and seldom have one made of SS.
All MK10s have a heavy yoke-only some MK5 do.
All MK10s are compatible with a SP Universal DIN kit or yoke, in fact one can use any SP yoke or DIN from any SP first stage built after the MK10-not so with a MK5
Couv has lots of MK10 for sale-does not have any MK5s :-D
D

My DIN conversion project is on hold until I receive my new-to-me Mk10 from @couv -- thanks, @couv !

@Angelo Farina , what size brass washers did you order? Were they metric sized, SAE, or USS? I am having trouble finding any that are approximately 14.5 mm OD and 0.9-1.0 mm thick.

@lexvil Thanks for the offer of the adapter, but I figured out a solution.

My DIN conversion project is on hold until I receive my new-to-me Mk10 from @couv -- thanks, @couv !

@Angelo Farina , what size brass washers did you order? Were they metric sized, SAE, or USS? I am having trouble finding any that are approximately 14.5 mm OD and 0.9-1.0 mm thick.

For the MK10 you do not need any brass washers. The standard (and cheap) current Scubapro Universal DIN adapter works perfectly, it is "plug and play".
However the washers I ordered on Ebay are these ones:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-Brass-M5-14-1mm-Flat-Washers-to-Fit-for-Bolts-Screws/122521566821
Not arrived yet, indeed.

I just said two words. First word: "Oh."

@couv kindly sold me a lovely looking Mk10, unserviced, along with a service kit.

I just completed the rebuild and installed the Scubapro Universal conversion kit, torquing the allen socket to the specified 265 inch-pounds. But then trouble struck. The hex bit wouldn't come out. I tapped it a few times with a wrench, tried moving it in the looser and the tighter direction, but it still wouldn't budge. I put it in the freezer for 45 minutes and tried again. Finally! I manage to loosen the hex socket and free up and remove the hex bit. I figured all I needed to do was retorque to 265 inch-pounds and move on to checking IP.

Then disaster struck: As I was torquing it, I got somewhere greater than 100 inch pounds and less than 200 inch pounds and the torque reading went to zero. The hex bolt inside the DIN conversion kit had broken!

With the hex bolt inside the DIN fitting broken, I can't even remove the DIN conversion kit and reinstall the yoke.

Ideas?

I just said two words. First word: "Oh."

@couv kindly sold me a lovely looking Mk10, unserviced, along with a service kit.

I just completed the rebuild and installed the Scubapro Universal conversion kit, torquing the allen socket to the specified 265 inch-pounds. But then trouble struck. The hex bit wouldn't come out. I tapped it a few times with a wrench, tried moving it in the looser and the tighter direction, but it still wouldn't budge. I put it in the freezer for 45 minutes and tried again. Finally! I manage to loosen the hex socket and free up and remove the hex bit. I figured all I needed to do was retorque to 265 inch-pounds and move on to checking IP.

Then disaster struck: As I was torquing it, I got somewhere greater than 100 inch pounds and less than 200 inch pounds and the torque reading went to zero. The hex bolt inside the DIN conversion kit had broken!

With the hex bolt inside the DIN fitting broken, I can't even remove the DIN conversion kit and reinstall the yoke.

Ideas?
Did you torque on the large inside hex, under the filter?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom