Advice Please - Where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajunky17

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,
I'm pretty hard to please I guess.
I have dived
1.Galapagos
2.Palau
3.Komodo
4.Sipidan
5.Bali / Figi
6.Bunaken / Lembeh / Sabang
7.Red Sea / Thailand - PiPi, Ko Tao, / Balicasang

I have two weeks free time in april and want to go diving. I have listed my previous diving locations so that people can see where I'm coming from.
I dont know where to go diving in April and am considering a return trip to the Philippines or Pulah Weh.
I would also consider Central America / Mexico etc but I do love Asia and it always pulls me back.
So the question is can you PLEASE reccommend me somewhere to go diving in Asia which will impress me? I would Consider Tubatah but where else is excellent diving in the Philippines?
I like Palegic action.
Thanks in advance.

Tubataha is an excelent choice and Malapascua is also recommended.
The wrecks at Coron are fun also.
And how about those wrecks in Truk Lagoon?

ScubaJunky, you and I have similar dive experience and, it seems, similar taste in diving. What we both have to come to terms with is that pelagics, sharks, and large schools of fish are, in Asia, pretty much a thing of the past. I have not been to Raja Ampat yet, but the current issue of Undercurrent has some good discussion:
Raja Ampat is not a strange critter haven, nor one with lots of pelagics or big fish -- it has just tons of fish and corals, many different kinds of fish and corals -- it’s mind-blowing and outdoes any other place on that front
In other words, if you've been to the Galapagos and Palau, and you like big animals, you are likely to be disappointed. Which makes it a lot like Komodo, I suspect. I can count on my fingers the number of sharks I saw in a 10-day liveaboard trip to Komodo. (I loved Komodo, by the way, but for other reasons.)

If I were you I'd be thinking about Papua New Guinea, revisiting Palau, or going to Cocos Island.

Sorry missed the point about pelagic action, which I agree is not the greatest in R4 ( although I had great manta dives, schooling barracudas, schooling jacks and sailfish on my last trip.

An other option would be Maldives where you are very likely to see mantas, whale sharks and lots of reef sharks.

My knowledge is limited though as I have only dived in Asia (from Maldives to Australia but mostly Indonesia and Malaysia)

Thanks so far guys, what about Central America? Belize? Honduras Costa Rica Ectc
I'll go anywhere for awesome diving.

Co Cos island off the coast of Costa Rica is well known for schooling hammerheads, Giant marble ray, Red lips batfish etc etc.
However, the 36hrs one way boat journey is far too long, thank you and never again.

Wakatobi?

I spent 3.5 months diving/working in Tubataha for the season 2 years ago. That was after I had spent 2.5 yrs working/diving in Indonesia (Komodo/Alor/Banda/Raja) and I have to say we were really disappointed in the diving at Tubataha. For all the places you've been, I would imagine that you might feel the same about Tubataha.
Good luck on your decision!

Back
Top Bottom