Advice on Wetsuit for Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alam555

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello,
so after 3 yrs and some 3 dives, I am finally giving in and am looking to buy a wetsuit. Offcourse, with my luck, the airlines also just decreased the weight allowance, but anyways.

So here is the question:
Brand?
Hyperstretch?
3mm

thank you

I'm a cold body, but I did fine in Bonaire in a polypro last year (late March) I think the water temp was 79-82 degrees F at that time. I did some longer dives and was never uncomfortable. Semper Fi Dave

2 or 3 dive skins + lost of swim suits. I have been to Bonaire a number of times and as long as you don't have to put on a wet swim suit or dive skin then you won't get cold. 3 mm is overkill unless you are a local.

We were in Bonaire last October and a skin was plenty. Even for my wife who is always cold. Water temps were 81 to 84 degrees F.

I have dove Bonaire and Curacao a number of times in most every season and I never use more than a fleece lined skin. On the other hand a buddy of mine uses a full 5mm and a hood. It really depends on you. If you are only getting one, a 3mm might be a good overall choice. You can always rent a shortie on Curacao if you need to.

I've never used more than a skin in Bonaire or Curacao. It's personal but I think 3mm would be overkill for many people, unless you live there or in a pretty warm climate.

Based on the above advice, I would say use a full skin or get a 3mm shorty, depending on how cold you get and how worried you are about sunburn. :)

Hyperstretch wetsuits tend to be the most comfy, and considering cold is barely a blip on the radar here, the usual complaints about compression and depth causing more rapid heat loss than others won't really matter.

hyperstrech arfe very comfortable, but not as worm as the normal wet suits

I went to Curacao in March with a cheapo 3mm shorty and it was fine.

Warmth is a personal matter. I'd rather be too warm than too cold.

My tolerance to cold has lessened as I have gotten more experienced. I think it is a combination of longer bottom times and being more relaxed.

Feeling cold can build up. For me, in 80 degree Caribbean water, 2 dives a day, 60+ minute bottom times, I can start off without a suit or just a skin no problem. By the 3rd day I am cold.

You can always unzip your wetsuit a little to let water in if you are too warm. What ya gonna do if you are too cold ?

3mm is the typical suggestion for multiple day dives in the Caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom