Advice on Used Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary Shepard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking a an ad for equipment and wonder if someone tell me anything about it or advice on what to look for or ask.

I just finished my refresher class and now am looking for equipment to start getting in the water. I don't want to spend more than needed until I get more dives in and become more knowable

Here is the add
Atomic B1 Titanium Regulator with 1st Stage, Oceanic Atom 2.0 Watch Computer with wireless transmitter and armor bag, Swivel hose connection, Atomic Excursion Bioflex weight integrated BCD with Atomic Aquatics SS1 regulator/inflator

I can use the help please.

Titanium regulator and air integrated computer would be considered by some as bells and whistles that add unnecessary cost when looking to save money but still purchase quality equipment.

How much do they want? All good equipment if it has been taken care of. If it was a good deal and I was in the market, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. hook it up to a tank and make sure it operates as it should.

Good luck,
Jay

1. How old is the equipment
  2. Is there anything wrong with it
  3. Why is the person selling it
  4. Is any of the equipment discontinued?
  5. Put a power inflator on the BC and over-inflate it to make sure nothing is wrong with inflator, overflow valves or the bag inside.
One thing I can tell you is regulators can be rebuilt/repaired (in the event a used one you bought needs work) . BCs, if not properly cared for, you could see a rotten plastic bag inside, not likely fixable.

It is 6 years old, Last serviced 4 years ago after his last dive. Children and such has come along and he hasn't been able nor afford to dive and could use the money, wants 275 for all. I called my shop and all parts are available if needed.

275 for all? That's so low it makes me suspicious that it's either a scam or it's junked. If it is a legit deal and it passes basic function tests - BCD holding air, inflator working, dive computer powering up, regulator breathing -- then I'd jump on it and have plenty left over to have the regs serviced, no matter what he says about their history. Even if something ends up non-salvageable, you'd probably still end up ahead.

Uh, where did you see this ad?

That price appears to be way too good to be true.

If it is legit and the gear is in good shape, BUY IT NOW! It is a very good deal for that brand of gear.

Despite being serviced after last dive, it would be prudent to have it serviced again before use (it's been on the shelf for 4 years and you don't know how it was stored). Even including the cost of getting everything serviced again, it's a great deal.

If you look on Ebay, an Atom 2.0 without a transmitter is probably $175. The transmitter, new, is about 400 and used is probably worth 200. An SS1 is probably about $125-150 used. Just by looking at Ebay.

I'm not that familiar with Atomic stuff, but the Excursion/Bioflex was/is an Oceanic product. I had one. Maybe the brand got miscommunicated. If it is the Oceanic, it is a nice BCD and worth at least 200 if it is good shape.

The 1st/2nd stage would be worth north of that, but I'm not familiar with the Atomic line so cannot comment.

So, be very careful of scams, but if legit and in working condition, this would be a very good deal at twice the price.

I will meet up with him Thursday afternoon and yes I will be taking everything over to the dive center for inspection. The BCD is a medium so I hope it fits. Last night I had a large on and the draw straps had a lot of extra. Someone much larger than me could put it on. I'm 5'7" 195lb and about 46 in the chest so we will see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom