Advice on these tanks I picked up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sell the al80 to a scrap place for $20 and you'll make money on this deal.

HP100 valve probably needs a run through the ultrasonic and to be rebuilt. Parts are easy to find for that one

Thanks, I sold the AL80 for $20 and still debating if I'll sell the steel 100 or not. At my LDS Hydro is $55, Vis is $15, fill is $6, valve rebuild is $40, so I'm at $137 including tax and initial investment. I can probably sell it for more and put that $ toward a newer steel 100 with a pro valve that supports yoke regs.

Check with Acme Fire Extinguisher Co, 1305 Fruitvale Ave, Oakland, CA 94601, (510) 532-4040. They're a fire extinguisher company that's essential business and they will do a hydro test but not a VIS. Some of the local divers in your area that are certified by PST can do a VIS for you cheap. I had my tanks hydro'd at Acme (they don't do plus rating) and had a SB member from East Palo Alto do the VIS. Getting a fill is a different matter.

I posted this on 7/2019
Tank hydro tested in Oakland, $22/tank

Check with Acme Fire Extinguisher Co, 1305 Fruitvale Ave, Oakland, CA 94601, (510) 532-4040. They're a fire extinguisher company that's essential business and they will do a hydro test but not a VIS

And I’d be betting good money that’s where his LDS gets it done.

Check with Acme Fire Extinguisher Co, 1305 Fruitvale Ave, Oakland, CA 94601, (510) 532-4040. They're a fire extinguisher company that's essential business and they will do a hydro test but not a VIS. Some of the local divers in your area that are certified by PST can do a VIS for you cheap. I had my tanks hydro'd at Acme (they don't do plus rating) and had a SB member from East Palo Alto do the VIS. Getting a fill is a different matter.

I posted this on 7/2019

IIRC, the HDG PST HP tanks and other similar HP tanks that were certified with exemption certificates:
1 - are not eligable for "+" ratings
2 - have special procedures for the hydro. If they aren't followed, the tank may be condemned unnecesarily. Be sure your hydro shop has and follows the specific test protocol.

ETA: you are likely to wat to factor tumbling in there after the hydro.

acme fire in oakland is familiar with the PST roundout procedure. they also do a good job drying the tanks after hydro so you don't end up with flash rust. instead of tumbling, opt for the tank to get shot blasted if it needs it before the hydro, cheaper than tumbling.

I posted this on 7/2019

Fire extinuisher place by me doesn't dry scuba tanks after hydro. They had flash rust in hours and have to be tumbled during VIP. Lesson learned....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom