Advice on Rolling Dive Bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I've seen other divers' "normal" dive bags get trashed from the airlines."
"take the worst punishment that the airlines can dish out."

I get really up set when peole start blaming the airlines for damaged bags. When you check into an Major Airport, your bag will travel on an maze of a conveyor belt system. This system moves at a high rate speed as it needs to move 30,000 bags per hour on avg. When travellers do not properly secure the zippers, handles and any other loose thing that hangs from the bag. These items get hung up and rip the bag from the following bag SMASHING into it. I am not saying that the odd guy doesn't rip or smash a bag, but 95% are due to the belt system. So to help yourself out, put tape on your zippers and handles and take the carry strap off and put it in the bag. These little will help keep your bag on the move.

I agree with what you say, and I'm careful with extra straps and things that could get caught, but I've also witnessed the airline baggage handlers loading my luggage onto my plane while I was waiting at the gate. They were taking the bags off the trailers and tossing them about 10 ft onto the ground so that the other handler could then toss them onto the conveyor belt that went into the cargo hold. That's when I realized that the old tv ad with gorillas beating on the luggage was not that far from the truth.

dd

Ragincajun, did you get that rolling duffel bag? what do you think of it?

It is also very important to know the weight of the new bag you are purchasing. We went shopping for one and the weight varies ALOT. Of course durability is also important, but with airline restrictions getting worse you need all the help you can get.

It is also very important to know the weight of the new bag you are purchasing. We went shopping for one and the weight varies ALOT. Of course durability is also important, but with airline restrictions getting worse you need all the help you can get.

I agree with this! And, I also found that getting a huge bag is not the way to go. I bought a very large 3-suiter soft sided suitcase for use on cruises (before I started scuba diving). I got it because I needed to pack a tux and 2-3 suits/sport coat/slacks combos.

I was so proud of my purchase, and was getting a lot into this bag, nicely organized. I had it about 2/3 full, and was almost completely packed. I was even thinging of taking more! I decided to way the bag before filling it up. This was just one of my allowable 2 checked bags. It weighted in at a whopping 132 pounds!:11:

And it was just 2/3 full. By the time I repacked, and split things between the 2 checked bags, and my carryon, that bag was less than 1/4 full. Things don't stay in place that way.

I thought I'd just use that when traveling by car. But, have you ever tried to haul (or even just lift) over 130 pounds into a trunk or up a flight of stairs to you room (no elevator)?

Now, this very nice bag sits under my quest bed, unused in over 3 years.

Moral: Don't buy the biggest bag - recognize that much of our dive equipment is heavy, and it's really easy to get to 50 pounds (30 pounds for American Express - 15 kg). :no

I use the Aqua Lung "Tropical" (i think) I wouldnt recommend it, it has no handle on the top so its a PITA to lift onto tables at the airport or onto buses trains etc etc...Another problem with DIVE branded bags is that it advertises to the world expensive gear inside. Akona have a very good rep for strong quality bags and they dont scream DIVE GEAR inside, check them out, they have a forum here too so you can ask them questions directly. The new AKB188 looks good and only 9lbs. Good luck

I have it, but yet to use it for diving. It's still in the closet...

Looks nice. Could you give us an accurate weight on that bag. With airlines getting to be such a PITA, weight is being a deal breaker on new bag aquisition.

Thanks.

I've had good luck with this same bag.
The High Sierra bags have worked well for me too, considering the price (~$60). I probably bought them on the advice of the same guru. You can shred them though, if you over-stuff them with a lot of heavy, hard-edged equipment and lug them around by their end handles. My real complaint though, is that--like duffels in general, I guess--they roll on two wheels while you drag them by the handle. This creates a little bit of a challenge when you drag two of them plus a carry-on and a laptop bag through an airport. One of them will keep tipping over and the whole thing makes you look a little ungainly. I'm a big fan of porters, but I don't like having to depend on them. I have now switched to regular Samsonite luggage that rolls upright on 4 wheels.

Back
Top Bottom