Advice on putting on gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't heard of this method. And at 68 won't be attempting it....
If you have full range of motion, it shouldn't be hard. Much easier when you have a buddy, pole, side of a car to help with the standing part.

I would end up dropping the tank on my head and it would be game over.
Give it a try sometime, it’s rather easy.

Here is a video of someone showing others how to do it. He holds it in a low squat but I just pick it up and turn it over. Skip to 2:40 on the video

Stand behind the tank/BC, put your hands through the arm pocket and grab the tank. Lift it up over your head and drop it on your back. If you don’t have an elevated place to set your gear on, dropping it over your head is the easiest way. Maybe that technique is a bit outdated for younger divers who have no idea what I am talking about. I still do this with my 130 with backplate and I am getting up there in the age bracket.

Or just put your gear in the water and swim into it in the same fashion. Works for me.

Or just put your gear in the water and swim into it in the same fashion. Works for me.
Right, but the surf is too rough at one spot where the OP dives.

What's wrong with the simplest technique I am using? I slide my left hand through the straps, squat, slide the strap up onto my left shoulder, stand up with the BC & tank, make sure the pressure gage and the reg are still outside the BC, slide my right hand through the straps, buckle up. Did this hundreds times, never failed.

What's wrong with the simplest technique I am using? I slide my left hand through the straps, squat, slide the strap up onto my left shoulder, stand up with the BC & tank, make sure the pressure gage and the reg are still outside the BC, slide my right hand through the straps, buckle up. Did this hundreds times, never failed.
Mobility and strength that not all divers have. I do this but with right side first

Mobility and strength that not all divers have. I do this but with right side first
Right, but I'd say this is easier than the over-the-head method described above. Most often, people have stronger legs than hands.

I start with my left because I keep my comp and compass on my left wrist.

The only thing wrong is that you must be young.

Back
Top Bottom