Advice on New Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StubbornRussian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would like to buy my wife a regulator, octo, and pressuregauge console or comp for Christmas. It is the last piece of gear we need forboth of us to be fully outfitted. We doabout 20 dives a year but that is trending up. We dive cold water in the pacific northwest and do a warm water trip atleast once a year. Once we are bothfully outfitted I really see our cold water diving going way up.
Would love some advice on getting a new or used package inmy price range. 600 max. I have been looking on ebay and the forumshere. I dive an apeks atx50 and love it.
I found this new package on Amazon with the ATX40/DS4.
http://www.amazon.com/Apeks-ATX40-Regulator-Set-Discontinued/dp/B00GP1XVD6
With this being a discontinued set that has been sittingaround for quite a while should I anticipate servicing it prior to use? I think that the ATX and XTX lines use thesame service kit so parts shouldn’t be a problem in the future but let me knowif this is wrong.
I am also targeting used packages 30 dives or less withscubapro MK25/S600, Aqualung Legend LX, and any ATX/XTX models. Any other regulators you recommend adding tomy search list?
What are thoughts to getting used regs on ebay? I would be servicing anything I bought and Iam noticing that a lot of the scuba equip sellers have great/perfect feedbackratings.
And if anybody reading has part or all of the package I amlooking for then pm me and maybe we can work something out.
Thanks!

I don't follow Apeks especially but it's not discontinued unless it happened just recently. ATX40 - Apeks
The ATX40 is still available today and offers a fully balanced first and second stage with cold water capability (can be used in all temperatures including those below 10 C / 50 F).
It's got the heat exchanger so should function well in cold water. Obviously warm also. I don't honestly know the line well enough to comment on pro's/cons of that model.

Prime (seller on Amazon) has the same set on their website in DIN for $720 so maybe it is being discontinued. Apeks ATX40 Regulator Set at PrimeScuba

Did you notice it's the last one on the Amazon site?

Aqualung lists it also: ATX40 - Aqualung

On the Scubapro side the EVO's are optimized for cold water use. There's about 6-7 Mk25 models that carry that designation on the Scubapro website. It's pretty new though so finding a Mk25/S600 with one might be difficult unless it's someone who just didn't like diving. You might also look for a Mk21 since they're optimized for cold - or the venerable Mk17 which many people would agree is "the" cold water Scubapro model since it's a diaphragm not a piston model so inherently less likely to freeze if you overbreathe it in cold conditions. SCUBAPRO - Regulators

I can sell you a brand new cold water reg set for less than what that one is going for now. 1st stage, identical seconds, hoses, and SPG.

---------- Post added November 28th, 2015 at 02:33 PM ----------

Personally I would not buy a used reg from an unknown source for my wife. Nothing wrong with used gear but if I was going to go that route I'd get it from someone I knew and trusted.

I have those gauges now. They're nice because they're smaller than standard but very readable.

I put a ring through the opening and it clips off nice - I think the hose is actually heavier than the gauge pod.

Jim, my local shop services Aqualung/Apeks and Scubapro. Can you put a packaged together using these brands that is comparable to what I am looking at here?

What specifically is concerning about used gear other than the obvious chance of the gear showing up in bad condition? If it is inspected and serviced and looks good and passing the tests what hidden issues might be there that could be ominously hiding that might have resulted from prior negligent care?

Another thing to remember is that while a local shop may sell and service certain brands, that's not always necessary to have. I have customers send me regs from Florida, Colorado, Hawaii, and Okinawa as well as much closer to home. Sometimes turn around even faster than a local shop.
Also note that properly cared for regs DO NOT NEED REBUILT EVERY YEAR. The average recreational reg with proper care can easily go for two years or more.

PM sent.

I find that the regulator service is so poor and so slow at many local dive shops, that once you drop off the regulator, it may take several weeks for them to open it up, order parts and then put it together. We are constantly reading about people being ripped off on service from local shops. I can't tell you how many times I have seen a reg come back from the shop and when the guy tries to use it, it fails....I could take a guess and say I have seen these failed services more than a dozen times.

IF... a big IF, I found a regulator service provider that I was confident would do the work quickly, would stock all the parts and would be fair and honest...then I would have no heart burn over having to pay for shipping once every 2-3 years.

If you learn the most basic adjustment technique for the second stage seat (to stop freeflow/bubbling as the seat wears) and buy a $20 intermediate pressure gage...you could save yourself a lot of money and problems.

What specifically is concerning about used gear other than the obvious chance of the gear showing up in bad condition? If it is inspected and serviced and looks good and passing the tests what hidden issues might be there that could be ominously hiding that might have resulted from prior negligent care?

As long as the gear is serviced by a competent technician there is nothing that could be hiding. Regulator service involves taking them completely apart, inspecting all parts, and replacing the sealing o-rings and seats.

Unfortunately the issue is finding a competent technician. At a dive shop it's a crapshoot; some are good, some are terrible. Some shops are reluctant to service gear bought elsewhere, using liability as an excuse but really just out of spite. Hopefully your local shop is a reasonable one.

Back
Top Bottom