Advice on New Regs and Cold Water Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jw2013

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm looking to (soon!) buy some new regs but when speaking to my instructors, I was told to make sure they're suitable for cold water. Apparently even inland sites like Stoney Cove (England) can be around 4'C. The regs I've been looking at (Oceanic and Apeks) all talk about being suitable for water temperatures as low as 10'C. Some UK waters are colder than this.

Are these going to be suitable still? Or should I be looking for alternatives? I don't want to spend my pennies on some to find they're crap and end up giving the fish my air through a Free-flow - when I'll need it more!

Any advice... please?
Thank you.
- Jonny

From what I've read no, they are not suitable under 10'C. The EN 250 : 2000 norm uses 10'C as line between coldwater or not. If you are looking for one that is certified by that norm, you should look at subgear( all their regs are certified)

Jord

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

I dive in Apeks (XTX) regs in Belgium all year round and the water temperature goes well below 10°c in the winter.

And I am not the only one !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you. I've never seen SubGear in the UK. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong stores. If I have (any) the regs serviced and set up for cold water does this mean they're still only suitable for 10'C? Is this the lowest limit for these regs?

Apologies if this is a stupid question - this is all new to me... it's proving to be an enjoyable learning curve!

All but one of the apex xtx are certified for coldwater use. I want to clarify by saying the subgear isn't the only brand with regs suitable for coldwater. Just a suggestion which way to look.

Jord

You really can't go wrong with Apeks. Mine are DS4's with ATX50 and TX50 seconds and are used regularly in The Great Lakes and in Newfoundland where water temperatures can be as low as -2C. You should not have any difficulty getting them serviced in England as they are made there.

I and my 200 closest friends dive with Apeks DS4 or DST and XTX second stages. Usual diving temperature +2...+4C. I have adjusted the IP to an unorthodox 8,5 bar but not everyone does that. Minimum water temp ever -1c. Poseidon is also very good. Search for: polar diving workshop.

Sent from my GT-S7710 using Tapatalk

Apeks is known for cold water reliability. Most of Apeks regs are cold water capable accept for a couple of the low end ones. I dive an XTX 50 and it has worked in 42 degrees no problem. I intend to take it under ice.

i dive xtx 200 set up. love it. never had an issue in cold waters here in canada. for a less expensive option you might look at genesis gs2000. although i don't know if you can get them in europe ?? a whole bunch of people here use them.

Of the Apeks regulators only the Apeks Flight and the AT/XT/XTX 20 second stages are not designed for cold water.
All other first stages are environmentally sealed diaphragm design and used by many tecnical divers in extreme conditions.
The XTX50 /100 /200 second stages are identical, only the XTX 20 has no heat sink and the XTX20 and 40 have no manually adjustable cracking pressure.
Talking about cold water, two independent first stages are recommended, in case one freezes you shut it off and breathe the other one until the first is thawed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom