Advice on New Regs and Cold Water Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sorry to the op.....not trying to hijack but.....

if you guys had to choose between the DST and the FSR 1st stage which would you choose?? and to clarify.....this is assuming price is not a consideration. just based on quality and performance in warm and very cold waters.

i currently have the xtx 200 (so i have the FSR 1st stage) and i love it. but i turn it upside down when doing overhead environments so the soft seal is not on the top. but then the hose routing is not optimal. with the DST i notice the soft seal is already on the bottom. plus i like the swivel turret idea. thinking of switching.
thx

I went for the FSR because of the replaceable seat. As I dive two first stages the hose routing is no problem, all hoses point downwards.

I went for the FSR because of the replaceable seat. As I dive two first stages the hose routing is no problem, all hoses point downwards.
Apeks should have standardized all its 1st stages with this ARCAP valve seat.

is this true ?? if so, why would they have 3 different models. serious question btw. not tryin to be a smartass. or is it only due to the 1st stage it is paired with ??

The difference is in how the hoses are routed. TEK3 has all hose connections pointing down (good for backmounted doubles), DST has ports to two directions and it rotates (good for stage/deco tanks and sidemount), DS4 has less options than DST but may be slightly more robust as it does not rotate. Those that have less money or demand maximum robustness possibly at the cost of usability, get DS4. My friends use DS4 with doubles and with stage/deco tanks, and I have one too. I also use DST for sidemount, but I could use DS4. It´s a matter of taste. Internally they are almost identical. The DST, of course, has a rotating part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom