Advice on Key Largo dives needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluechub

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be heading with the family for a trip to Key Largo next month. We will be doing mostly shallow dives as my daughter is still JOW (and we are still pretty new to dive). While we hope to see a variety of things, we would like to have a better chance to see a large grouper, like a goliath. Is there any particular reef off Key Largo with a better chance to see one?
Also, how are the typical conditions (sea, viz ...) in that area in mid-summer?

Thanks!

I am no expert on the Keys for sure, but I noticed no one answered your questions so I'll tell you what little I know. Most of the Key Largo area is shallow diving unless you are diving a wreck. We did 4 dives there last week and I believe the deepest I got was about 35'. The week we were there it was very windy (uncommon for June I am told) and a bit churned up. The best viz during our dives was maybe 40'. I have seen it better.

I have only been diving in the Keys twice. While I have seen lots of life: fish, sharks, rays, lobster, turtles I personally have never seen a goliath grouper. Not to say they are not there. But I am comparing it to diving in West Palm where you see them on almost every dive.

Another thing, if you haven't already scheduled your dive trips you may want to go with one of the smaller ops. They can give you more attention and many of them send a guide with you.

I have often seen Goliath grouper on the Molassas Reef sites. All of your diving will be on shallow water dive sites. Most dive operators will not put you on a deep boat without AOW cert, which excludes your daughter. The dive operator chooses the particular site based on conditions. Check out Amoray Dive Resort, they have dive and stay packages in apts with kitchens that work well for families. My local dive shop uses them for their trips.

Amoray Home Page

Thanks for the info jenlaur and herbdb. We will probably dive with Rainbow Reef, next to our hotel, I will post a trip report when back (and hopefully some pics too)

They are a good operator. I used them on my last trip for the same reason. The only downside for me was that they have no place to store gear. If you bring your own, I recommend you take a wheeled duffle so you can roll it to and from the elevator. We put wet gear on the balcony overnight.

We were on their shallow boat. Mornings are usually calmer (I did morning and afternoon boats with a quick sandwich from the minimart across the street.)

Take and use dramamine or another motion sickness aid if there is even a small chance you will need it. I saw many people get sick (including my grandson) because they did not think they needed it. It ruined the trip for my grandson.

Have fun!

Seems like we have seen a GG and a nuseshark on the City of Washington several times. I do not remember any GG on other shallow dives in the keys though.

Conch Republic Divers is a good outfit too. You have some advice on finding grouper. For some of your other dives consider the Benwood wreck -- max depth of 45 feet and has lots of life on it.

Yes, I also saw the Benwood mentioned on some website, it seems also shallow enough for my daughter to dive (or hover just on top of it). Can't wait to test the new housing for the camera ...

If you want to see goliath grouper - you may want to check out Captain Slate's "Creature Feature" dive - the videos are amazing... Haven't done this dive yet - maybe this fall. Their web page states "OW" as the required skill level - don't know if your daughter's JOW would be ok or not.

The Benwood is a nice location - actually finished up my OW dives over it. LOTS of fish!

Have a great trip!

I had a great experience with Rainbow Reef last time I was there. They run two boats, one shallow and one deep. I believe they also put a DM in the water on every dive, unlike other boats I have been on there.

The deck of the Benwood is pretty shallow. I only saw 40’+ on the bottom in front of the bow. I have seen grouper on Molasses Reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom