Advice on Grand Cayman 7 Mile Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

declujo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been diving on and off for years, but my 15 year old son just got PADI certified and is dying to go on a dive vacation. The problem is - he tends to get a little seasick so I will probably want to focus in on shore diving and avoid boat trips.

In this regard, my local dive shop recommended several locations for shore diving, but Grand Cayman seems like the easiest for us to get to from the NY area in early November.

If anyone has some advice on where to stay that would be convenient for shore diving, e.g. 7 mile beach, I'd very much appreciate your advice. Since our trip will be somewhat short (4 days), I don't need to be too economical within reason.......

Thanks

My suggestion (and what I would do)

1) Stay at a hotel on Seven mile beach (Sunshine suites, Westin, etc)
2) Rent a car
3) Dive - Sunset house, Eden Rock, Macabuca (Turtle farm) and Cobalt coast.

What makes Seven Mile Beach such a nice beach makes for lousy shore diving. The reef is too far out along practically all of the developed areas.

One thing to know - with one or two exceptions - no one lets tanks off their property. The dive store in West Bay does rent them if you want to explore other nearby options. Cemetary Beach is one that's really shallow with a short swim out to the reef - it's on the north end of SMB.

All the sites Roombaguy mentioned have an onsite operator for tanks/weights gear rental etc. We especially liked Turtle Reef - it was shallow with a mini-wall a short swim out. Lots of life growing down the wall and Tarpon school in the shadows.

You also want to try to be in/through Georgetown when the cruisers aren't there. Not only is it insanely crowded but Eden Rock is 100? yds. north of the cruise port. Since you're driving on the opposite side of the street, they don't always look before stepping off the curb either.

We dove Eden Rock one afternoon right before the ships sailed and it was ok - the reef is a little tired looking from all the traffic. Shallow though, both it and the Grotto next door can't exceed 50'. Sunset House was better IMO. You can do both the Nicholson and Amphitrite in one dive if you start with the Nicholson. Also the Cathy Church Photo School/Gallery on site is worth a look.

I agree with Roombaguy except we rent a condo instead of a hotel room. Food on Cayman is really pricey (as is everything else) so we cooked a few days. For 4 days it won't be as big an issue. For me Divetech was too far north and Sunset House is in the airport flightpath.

Shorediving.com lists the more popular shore dive sites. Except Seaview is condos now. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Cayman Islands, Caribbean

Neither cobalt Coast nor Sunset House is on SMB. You may wish to try Comfort Suites, on a budget, or the Marriott or Westin Hotels, if not. I agree that there is NO shore diving at all on SMB. You can rent tanks to take way at Divers Supply in West Shore Shopping Centre on SMB.

Neither cobalt Coast nor Sunset House is on SMB. You may wish to try Comfort Suites, on a budget, or the Marriott or Westin Hotels, if not. I agree that there is NO shore diving at all on SMB. You can rent tanks to take way at Divers Supply in West Shore Shopping Centre on SMB.

Comfort Suites is a great location and though I have never seen their rooms, understand it to be quite nice. Ambassador Divers is right out the door (literally), walk over in the morn, the van drives you to boat, loads you up, off diving and they drop you back at your door after! You can rinse and store your gear while diving with them as well. Restaurants, grocery and adult beverage stores well within walking distance.

If you are looking for a bit more space and kitchen, plenty of condos right there - 7 Mile Beach Resort and Plantation Village are both nicely maintained.

Good luck!

I'm not prone to motion sickness, except when boat diving, so I always take some over-the-counter medicine like Dramimine when I head to the islands. My point is, you don't have to limit yourself to shore diving just because of a little sea sickness.

The good shore diving up in the West Bay area is in primarily a residential part of the island. It's really not that far from 7 mile beach (SMB) or Georgetown. The three places to do shore diving up in West Bay are at the Cracked Conch/Macabuca, DiveTech Lighthouse, and Cobalt Coast (also Dive Tech). They are all within a couple miles of each other.

We snorkeled Eden Rock/Devils Grotto last week instead of diving. I agree that the reef is a bit tired looking from all the traffic. The big draw for diving that site IMHO is being able to swim through the grottos and also to see the big tarpon that hang out.

I've been to Grand Cayman seven times, including last week, and I always rent a condo on seven mile beach. I generally like staying closer in towards Georgetown so I can walk to places, but I always end up renting a car. Several places we've stayed near town are Georgetown Villas, Poinsettia, and Cocplum. There is a nice shipwreck nearby that is a great snorkeling site. A good place to find condo rentals is VRBO.com.

About 7MB, it faces west which is the leeward side of the island. What that means is: watching sunsets every day, sandy white beaches (mostly) and calm blue water. Throw in a bottle of Corona and you have a TV commercial. :wink: The beach gets rockier as you get closer to Georgetown. I know some people go to GC strictly to dive and are on a budget, but for me personally, if I go, I'm staying on the beach and watching sunsets, too. :)

Dec,

The ride to most sites off SMB is, like, 5 minutes....virtually only enough time to get suited up. I think it's completely reasonable to try to few boat dives.

The bigger (or at least important question) is what kind of lodging/surrounding do you want. SMB, although a beautiful beach, sorta feels like Florida (at least to me). Big hotels, fast food, traffic, expensive. Subpar shore diving, IMHO.

West End is definately more residential, with some good restaurants, and rocky beaches (although sandy beaches are an easy bike or drive away). Lighthouse Point was a great shore dive. East End is very quiet, little development (save Kaibo), but shore diving is hard. But if you like Island vibe, this is the place to get it.

On my last visit, I took a tour of Cobalt Coast. Rooms are very comfortable, spacious and have ikea-like design. Scenic location, too. Rocky beach, but great snorkeling (I had already done my day's worth of diving when I arrive). I chatted with several guests, and they raved about the diving. And, it's far enough away to be relaxing, but close enough to SMB to quench any need for non-diving activity (probably about 20 minutes from airport).

Good luck...let us know what you choose!

You should stay at Harbour View Apts (Harbour View Apartments Grand Cayman Cayman Islands) at the south end of Seven Mile Beach which is walking distance from Kirk Supermarket, Blackbeards offie, Southern Spice restaurant (Indian), Fidel's Irish Pub & Shireynolds night club & rent a car at the airport from Andy's at the airport. You can shore dive off the jetty at Harbour View & get your tanks from Divers Supply in West Shore Centre a short drive up West Bay Road.

I would not suggest a place to stay at the far southern end of West Bay Road (such as Harbour View). Unfortunately this area has seen an increase in property crimes and violent street crime such as assaults and robberies. It is located quite close to an area of high crime and drug activity (Dog City). I would not recommend walking in this area after dark.

Damn shame. Lock any patio doors. Shut and lock all windows. Secure valuables in your room safe.

I would suggest the idea of staying at the Westion or Sunshine Suites and a getting a rental car. This would provide a great base of operations that is convenient to Seven Mile Beach. You can easily head north to the West Bay area shore dives in the morning and hit the George Town area shore dives in the afternoon after cruise ships clear out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom