Advice on first equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joaz Banbeck

Registered
Reaction score
Done about a dozen dives so far ( Cozumel, Akumal, San Diego, Catalina ) and am thinking of getting my own stuff.

First is an hp120 tank. I'm big ( 6'6, 230 ) and am always the first one short of air. I assume that the extra tank length that bothers some will be irrelevant for me, and that the 7.25 diamer will have maximum compatibility with rented BCDs and tank holders on dive boats.
I was thinking of ordering this: Amazon.com: Sherwood HP 120 cu ft Steel Scuba Diving Tank Air Cylinder with Valve and Boot 3500 PSI Scuba Dive Diving Diver Authorized Dealer Full Warranty: Sports & Outdoors
Does this seem reasonable?
Any suggestions for brands?
Used vs new?

Second is a dive computer. I intend to get nitrox certified just for the safety edge. ( If I have longer dives, that's a bonus. ) I was looking at a 2- or 3-gauge console, possibly a Genesis React.
When I mentioned to my wife that I was thinking of getting a computer, she suggested that I wait, because the 'birthday bunny' might just have some plans. I don't want to be crude and name a nodel and say "Get me one of these", but are there any general hints that she should have?

Those are probably alll that I will get before the next trip to Coz. Any thoughts on compatibility...octopi and/or valves...etc?
Thanks

I've been reading the fine print on United Airlines' web site. If you have a dive tank, they want $200 surcharge each way to Mexico. It would be cheaper to buy the tank in Cancun and abandon it! Sigh...maybe just the dive computer for now.

With only a dozen dives you are probably still working on air consumption. Better buoyancy control will improve your air consumption. You might want to wait on a tank purchase until you have around 50 dives or more.

A dive computer would be an okay idea. You could do what my dad used to do. Find the brochure online and print it out. Then leave it around the house.

I'd get the tank if you'll do much diving locally, and I'd get the big one. 'Too much air' is generally not a problem, and if the weight & the size of the tank aren't issues for you, why not? If you're not diving locally, that's another story. I don't hear of people having tanks shipped places by air, though, for trips.

In Cozumel, some dive op.s have big tanks. Living Underwater (Jeremy Anschel) has 120 cf steel tanks; I'm big, an air hog, and got just over an hour & 15 minutes on a tank! Woo-woo!!! From what I understand a few op.s have big tanks ('big' sometimes means 100 cf, but that's better than an 80). If you haven't booked yet, it might pay to shop around for someone who has the big tank option.

For a computer, a big decision is wrist unit vs. console. Take a look at the Oceanic VT4 and the Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1 for an example of each. People who want a watch form factor might consider the Geo 2.0. Air-integrated units are expensive, and air-integrated wrist units use wireless transmitters so they tend to be pricy. Then again, if you like a console and are willing to come off some money, the Atomic Aquatics Cobalt is wonderful for it's easy to use, intuitive interface.

Richard.

I used to dive with a console but now dive with a wrist mount. The console was heavy and unwieldy. Having my computer on my wrist for me is much more ergonomic. I use a bigger wrist mount with my aging eyes a watch sized computer is too small. I use a Suunto Vyper, non AI, in a DSS bungee mount I like it. Tank, yes as others have said go with the biggest. Im pretty good on air and am small so use smaller tanks. Good luck.

Personally, I'd get reg/oct/console/computer before I bought a tank. Tanks rent cheap. I might also check out some more computers. The react isn't one I'd buy, but if there wasn't someone to buy em they wouldn't make em. To each his own.

Done about a dozen dives so far ( Cozumel, Akumal, San Diego, Catalina ) and am thinking of getting my own stuff.

First is an hp120 tank. I'm big ( 6'6, 230 ) and am always the first one short of air. I assume that the extra tank length that bothers some will be irrelevant for me, and that the 7.25 diamer will have maximum compatibility with rented BCDs and tank holders on dive boats.
I was thinking of ordering this: Amazon.com: Sherwood HP 120 cu ft Steel Scuba Diving Tank Air Cylinder with Valve and Boot 3500 PSI Scuba Dive Diving Diver Authorized Dealer Full Warranty: Sports & Outdoors
Does this seem reasonable?
Any suggestions for brands?
Used vs new?

Second is a dive computer. I intend to get nitrox certified just for the safety edge. ( If I have longer dives, that's a bonus. ) I was looking at a 2- or 3-gauge console, possibly a Genesis React.
When I mentioned to my wife that I was thinking of getting a computer, she suggested that I wait, because the 'birthday bunny' might just have some plans. I don't want to be crude and name a nodel and say "Get me one of these", but are there any general hints that she should have?

Those are probably alll that I will get before the next trip to Coz. Any thoughts on compatibility...octopi and/or valves...etc?
Thanks

I don't want to be crude and name a model and say "Get me one of these", but are there any general hints that she should have?

The best "general hint" she should have is the name and model of exactly what you want.

Back
Top Bottom