Advice on first dive computer (Suunto Zoop?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Zoop is a good computer. However, if Tec in in your future, or if you intend to do a lot of No Deco deep wreck diving (30-40 meters) that will require you to carry a stage bottle (AL40) with a different mix, then it's wise to pay a bit more to get a true mixed-gas computer.

The Zoop is a single gas Nitrox computer up to 50% O2. This means, you can't gas switch with it and you're limited to only 50% O2. So, it will lock-up, if you use it as a Tec backup computer since it will not allow you to gas switch and follow your accelerated-deco profile when you switch to a higher EAN Blend.

Okay, so you're certain that you're never going to do Tec and you will never do a deco dive. That's fine. But maybe you will want to occasionally do a No Deco dive to a Wreck or giant Fan Corals at 30-40 meter? Having a additional gas supply by way of carrying an extra bottle (AL40 slung on left side) with a different gas blend may extend your NDL dive and give you the added protection in the event of an Out of Air emergency.

When I conduct the Deep Diver or Wreck Specialty Course, I also teach students how to manage a stage/deco bottle and do a gas switch. Students are on single tank backgas (occasionally on doubles) and the stage bottle is an AL40 slung on the left side with its own regulator and SPG. The specialty dives are all within the NDL limits of the backgas blend and are No Deco dives.

The Zoop is not the ideal computer for Tec or Specialty Recreational dives involving gas switching.

I would recommend shelling out a little extra for the vyper. You get a download cable and also the option to use it in gauge mode. The cable alone brings the prices together. But the ZOOP is a great recreational computer.

Vyper is ok but there's small problem. You can't enable toggle light so in dark environment it could be problem. That's why my friend sell it.

I see *VERY* little on the Hollis DG03 which makes me nervous. The Cressi looks appealing too, except that it doesn't seem as prevalent as the Suunto and is only slightly less conservative?

If I am open to the $330 price point of the Novo (+ cable), are there any better alternatives I should be looking at in that price range (perhaps from Oceanic?). Or would the Novo still be a top bet for me?

Hollis is the Oceanic's "boutique" off-shoot. Under the hood most of them at this level are reselling either Pelagic (Oceanic, Hollis, Sherwood, Tusa, Aqualung) or Seiko (Cressi, some Mares models), Suunto is about the only one with its own hardware line.

To me @ $350 this would be a no contest because DG03 has wireless air integration.

if you are looking at spending 300+ on a computer and cable already, get a used petrel instead for around 400.

Of course there's backlight but you can't permanently ON it.
The battery is quite small in that style of computer. Permanently would probably be a few 10s of minutes, which isn't a great idea.

The Zoop has no backlight but does have a phosphorescent screen. Point your torch at it for a moment and then it glows for a few seconds giving you a chance to read it.

The battery is quite small in that style of computer. Permanently would probably be a few 10s of minutes, which isn't a great idea.

The Zoop has no backlight but does have a phosphorescent screen. Point your torch at it for a moment and then it glows for a few seconds giving you a chance to read it.

Yeah...that's why wrote that could be a problem. When we (with my friend) starts deco dives it found out that his Vyper isn't good for it just becouse lack of permanent backlight ON. You can't control time and depth and same time using stage bottles and also enable backlight :)

Yeah...that's why wrote that could be a problem. When we (with my friend) starts deco dives it found out that his Vyper isn't good for it just becouse lack of permanent backlight ON. You can't control time and depth and same time using stage bottles and also enable backlight :)
Hmm.
TBH the rest of the world has managed to check depth then switch gas without drama. Sounds like better buoyancy control and confidence in that buoyancy control is required. Also, on the backlit Suunto I have you can set how long the light is on after a button press. how long does it take to switch regulators once you have checked it is coming from the correct bottle?

Of course the constantly on oled and led computers are nicer in this regard, no button to press, but you pay with short battery life and probably higher initial costs.

Back
Top Bottom