Advice on diving in SoCal in late Feb.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gunpowderboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to be in SoCal in late feb and would love to log a couple of dives. Since I'm there on business my days are limited and would be available on either 17-19 or 24-26 of Feb.

Anyone have any good suggestions on where to go and where to rent equipment?

Catalina Island is a must see for California diving. you will find the most consistant good conditions unless there is a strong NorthEast wind going on. there are dive shops with easy access, two dive boats and one of the best shore dives in the world.
for a little more info Catalina island scuba diving travel review

You can easily dive there on a day trip but the island is worth an overnight trip for sure.

Avalon Harbor Clean up on Catalina! There will be 500 divers diving all weekend so you can join the fun and maybe meet Dr. Bill?

Welcome to the 'board, gunpowerboy. As others stated, going over to Avalon, Catalina for the day will get you the biggest bang for your buck.... check out our "sticky" here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/socal/231885-updated-great-catalina-island-info-sticky-thread.html for more information.
Since you wish to dive mid-week, I will not know how my schedual will be until a week before, but
if I can, I would love to sneak a break and dive the "park" with you on a Thursday or Friday.
Give us more info on yourself.... where are you from, how often do you dive, etc???

Avalon Harbor Clean up on Catalina! There will be 500 divers diving all weekend so you can join the fun and maybe meet Dr. Bill?

If I were traveling and looking to experience the local diving I highly doubt I'd spend a bunch of money to help the locals clean up their trash.

Totally agree.

I don't even get the point of paying to help clean up *my* local spot. My volunteer time isn't good enough without me also handing over a check? :shakehead:

If I were traveling and looking to experience the local diving I highly doubt I'd spend a bunch of money to help the locals clean up their trash.

Totally agree.

I don't even get the point of paying to help clean up *my* local spot. My volunteer time isn't good enough without me also handing over a check? :shakehead:

I've asked "why do we have to pay to clean up trash" question for 3 years. I didn't bother this year.

I pick up trash on every dive, and oddly enough it doesn't cost me anything when I do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom