Advice on buying a used DUI suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabenny

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking at a used DUI CLX450 that was made back in 2007. it looks like it has minimal wear and tear, but I'm wondering if there's anything I should be on the lookout for? how do these suits hold up over time? It hasn't been dove at all in the last 5 years - is that a good or a bad thing?

thanks in advance!

Ben

Hi Ben. This is Kathy with DUI. If the suit has latex seals these will need to be replaced. I'd also check the zipper to make sure it closes smoothly. Make sure and put some beeswax or ZipStick on it before you open and close the zipper. We have some videos up on how to pressure test a drysuit if you are interested it doing that with this suit. We have folks that send us emails with pictures of themselves who are actively diving their DUI suits for 10+ years. You can download our manuals for free on our website at any time. Have fun.

I agree with Kathy you got to figure in the replacement cost of wrist and neck seals into purchase price,also would 2x check zipper as Kathy stated since this will be most expensive part to replace. I have 4 Dui suits that I purchased used and love them all,I dive dry year round and if well cared for will last a lifetime.

Ben,
As with most things, the asking price is everything. I bought a used CF200 several years ago that fit me perfectly and only cost $1000CDN, which I considered a deal at the time. It came with new zip seals and had a new zipper quite recent to my purchase.

Even an old, well loved DUI suit can be a bargain if the price is right. :)

Ben,

I haven't been diving my DUI CLX450 a year yet, but I feel it is really well made. I'd suggest putting it on and jumping in a lake to check for leaks. Hopefully the seller will allow for that. Wrist and neck seals may be the only issue that you may need to replace, but not a big deal if you are getting a Cadillac of a dry suit at a Yugo price.

Why would the latex seals need to be replaced? Does the latex degrade even with no light / no use etc.

Why would the latex seals need to be replaced? Does the latex degrade even with no light / no use etc.
If they are exposed to hydrocarbons, yes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom